How Long Does It Take for Pectoral Muscle to Loosen After Breast Implants?

I am four weeks post-op benilli lift and with augmentation (390cc). Left brest is healing beautifully; however, right Pectoral muscle is still really tight where it connects to my arm (near the front armpit). I believe this is causing my implant to not loosen up and drop into place. There is a drastc difference between the two breasts at this time. PS does not seem to be worried. will the muscle loosen up and "release" the implant? Will my breasts even out? What can i do to help right breast drop faster? Pre 34C - Post 34DD

There is MUCH more here than meets the Eye

+2

I agree with my colleagues and, as usual with Dr. Rand. The appearance of your right breast and the history is highly suggestive of either a fluid (seroma) or a blood collection (hematoma). This is best evaluated with an Ultrasound and may need to be surgically evacuated.

I regret to tell you but the appearance of the breasts will not markedly improve. Although gravity will draw the implants inferiorly somewhat, the overall result would not be optimal. A major reason in my opinion was the attempt to stretch the indications for a Benelli Lift way beyond what it was designed to do in your case to spare you a vertical scar. The Benelli operation was designed for MINIMAL lifts and when used with implants to do so with implants NO larger than 250-300 cc. The operation was NEVER designed or proposed to be a replacement for Breast Lift procedure involving a vertical scar (Lollipop, inverted T etc) when they are needed. When large implants are used with a Benelli Lift (where a donut of skin is removed around the nipple complex and the outer edges of the wound are stitched to the inner edge of the wound), the tension on the wounds results in puckering, as you demonstrate, and eventually in a "Star Burst" scar appearance.

You should see your surgeon about the right breast.

Good Luck.

+1

It is still relatively early after surgery and I would not describe the difference as drastic. Discuss the use of preferential breast implant displacement exercises.

Tightness of implants early post-op

+1

You are still fairly early in the post-op course.  You should give this at least 4months or more to settle in.

Breast implants should look great immediately.

+1

Hi.

I am sorry to give you a discouraging answer, but I would be surprised if you have a good long term result. The idea that breast implants need to "drop" is a myth in my opinion. We take a tremendous amount of trouble to make sure breasts look the way we want them to look before the end of the operation.

Of course don't do anything for several months, but you may well need a revision breast augmentation eventually.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Pectoralis muscle relaxation after breast augmentation

+1

I would be a bit more concerned just looking at you.  You might considr an ultrasound to be sure you don't have a fluid collection around the implant.  The crease on that side also looks higher which might be preventing the implant from settling to match the other side. 

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS