How Long Will Partial Eyelid Droop from Botox Last? (photo)

I was given Botox injections on 1/26/12. 5 days later on 1/31/12 I noticed that my left eyelid was drooping. My brows are even, only the one eyelid is drooping down close to the top of the pupil. I was prescribed Apraclonidine .5. It took a few days to start working, but now right after I use the drops my eyes almost look even, though still not 100% normal. Can anyone tell me when I may notice a permanent improvement? It's been 12 days since my injections. I'm desperate!

Droopy lid from Botox

+2

The good news about Botox is that it goes away in 3-4 months if you don't like it.  I have found that a problem like yours (droopy lid) usually goes away much quicker than the 3 months, usually 4-6 weeks.  You may have an underlying droopy lid that you have been compensating for or you may just have the Botox in a spot slightly off causing this problem.  The drops you are using will get you through this.  Be patient, this too shall pass.

West Orange Oculoplastic Surgeon

Drooping eyelid after Botox

+1
A rare side effect is temporary drooping of one eyelid. This is short lived. Eyelid droop may also be corrected with a prescription eye drop (Iopidine 0.5%) that you can get from a physician. This can help alleviate the droop within a few weeks to a month. You can also wait a couple of months for the effects of the Botox to wear off, at which point the droopiness will also go away.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Botox and a droopy eyelid

+1

You will notice an improvement in 3 to 6 weeks, although it may take 3 months for the effect to totally wear off.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Botox eyelid droop

+1

If the levator aponeurosis is affected by Botox being placed too close to the eyebrow in the middle of the eyebrow, it can take 12 to sixteen weeks to improve. The use of the eyedrops such as Iopidine, several times a day can help keep the eyelid up.  It should all go away in time.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Droopy eyelids after botox

+1

Typically, this would improve in 6-8 weeks. In severe cases, it may last the entire duration of the activity of botox which is 3-4 months in the average.

Sanusi Umar, MD
Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Droopy eyelid after Botox is temporary

+1

Droopy eyelid after forehead Botox injection is a known complication but fortunately it is not common and completely reversible.  It will improve gradually and it usually takes four to six weeks before it isn't very noticable.  Some small weakness may be present for longer.

Daryl K. Hoffman, MD
Los Gatos Plastic Surgeon

Eyelid drooping after Botox

+1

It is a good thing the droop responds to apraclonidine. It usually goes away in 2-3 weeks. Ask the injector to aim the needle upward next time, especially the outermost site.

Peter T. Truong, MD
Fresno Oculoplastic Surgeon

Eyelid droop after Botox

+1

In the majority of cases when that occurs, it takes 2-3 weeks and the effects of the Botox will decrease enough that the lid will start to get better.

Julio Garcia, MD

Eyelid ptosis after Botox

+1

Rest assured, this will be a temporary effect.  However, it may take 2 months or more for you to see full correction of your eyelid ptosis.  The drops will help in the meantime.  There is nothing to do to speed the recovery.  You will do great!  Just make sure that future Botox is injected well above the eyebrow to avoid a repeat episode.

Jennifer Lauren Crawford, MD

Eyelid ptosis

+1

What you have is eyelid ptosis and the drops you are using are good. Over time, probably a few weeks, the eyelid will move back into it's normal place, but it does take time. This is both the good and the bad with Botox - it's not permanent, but in some instances, like this, thank god!

F. Victor Rueckl, MD