How Long Does Pain and Swelling Last After Chin Implant Surgery?

I am four weeks post chin implant and still have swelling and pain and I am quite concerned.

Pain after a chin implant

+3

It is typical to experience pain and swelling 5-7 days following a chin implant. If you are still experiencing pain after 4 weeks I would try a steroid injection at the point of pain. If the pain persists after 6 weeks then it might be advise to remove the implant and replace it with something smaller.

Sometimes if the implant is too large it can rub on the nerve causing continued pain and irritation. Check back with your surgeon, they are the best to help you with your issues.

Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin Implants Typically Heal Quickly

+1

Typically chin implants heal so quickly that I often forget that I've done one on patients that have Face Lifts and other procedures at their 1 month follow up, so what you report seems unusual.  You might want to follow up with your surgeon nad have him check things out to be sure you're OK and healing well.

I can tell you that you can feel the implant for months but I'd describe this sensation as a very dull ache...not pain or severe tenderness.  Similarly, swelling can take up to 3 or 4 months to fully resolve.

Persistent swelling and pain 4 weeks after chin implant augmentation

+1

Please discuss these concerns with your surgeon who is best equipped to perform an examination and determine if the swelling you are reporting is normal or requires some other form of treatment.

Pain after chin augmentation

+1

Discomfort and swelling are quite normal after chin augmentation. Pain usually lasts 2 - 7 days while swelling may last a bit longer. This varies from patient to patient. 4 weeks with continued discomfort does seem a little longer course than normal. I would recommend seeing the surgeon who placed the implant for an evaluation to make sure your healing well.

Louis M. DeJoseph, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon