How Long Does Pain Last After Tummy Tuck Surgery if No Muscles Needed to Be Tightened

I had tummy tuck surgery two days ago. the doc told me that all he had to do was remove access skin. he said that my muscles were really toned and did not have to touch them. how long should i expect pain to last if this is the case.

Tummy tuck without muscle repair

+1

When muscle is not repaired (plicated) at the time of tummy tuck, your recovery should be faster.  Pain threshold is very subjective.  Some people may have pain for 1 week whereas others may have pain for 3 weeks.  

Web reference: http://www.drkimplasticsurgery.com/tummytuck

Abdominoplasty is not a single operation.

+1

Abdominoplasty is not a single operation. It must be individualized. In my opinion the complexity of what need to be done is often underestimated. Limitations on what is done are frequently imposed by the anesthesia options and operating suite and recovery options.  

Generally i see few if any patients that do not require repair of the abdominal wall. Even in men who are having a procedure to remove skin after weight loss some plication is necessary to improve contour.

The important thing is to discuss options with your surgeon and clearly understand the tradeoff. I frequently modify my procedure to accommodate a particular patient's needs. 

Providence Plastic Surgeon

Pain after tummy tuck without muscle tightening

+1

Pain after tummy tuck without muscle tightening is much less and recovery is much faster. Expect to be in some discomfort for two weeks. I just saw a pt I did this on 3 weeks ago and she would like to get back to exercise. Good luck.

Pain after Tummy Tuck without Muscle Plication

+1

I think you will find that the discomfort associated with tummy tuck surgery ( done with out muscle plication)  will be significantly less than the majority of tummy tucks ( that are done with muscle ligation).  Exactly how much discomfort you have will depend on many variables including your pain threshold. Given that  activities such as coughing, movement, straining etc. will not be as uncomfortable as would be otherwise your overall recovery should be easier.

Hopefully, you will be able to be off narcotic pain medications within one to 2 weeks.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/procedure_tummytuck.htm

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.