How Long Does Pain Last After Juvederm Injections?

I had 1cc of juvederm divided evenly to my smile lines 13 days ago. The inital pain was fine but now I still have discomfort. Is this normal?

Juvederm for smile lines

+1

Prolonged pain after an injection of any filler could be a warning sign of infection or other issues.  You should be promptly evaluated by your physician.  Please make sure that you receive your treatments by a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon experiences in filler injections.

Miami Beach Dermatologist

Prolonged pain after filler injections may indicate infection

+1

Prolonged pain after filler injections may indicate infection. Usually this will be accompanied by redness, swelling, and tenderness to touch. In any case see the physician who did the injection for evaluation.

Edward Lack, MD
Chicago Dermatologist

Pain after Juvederm

+1

It is unusual to have pain nearly 2 weeks following Juvederm. You should return to the practitioner who performed the procedure to be re-evaluated.

Joseph Michaels, MD
Bethesda Plastic Surgeon

Juviderm should not still be hurting

+1

I have never seen a patient have pain after Juviderm last past a couple of days, and most of the time they are without pain the next day.  You should be seen by the person injected you to make sure you do not have an infection or hematoma.

Vishnu Rumalla, MD

Pain 13 days after Juvederm for Smile Lines

+1

Hi,

It is very unusual to still have discomfort almost two weeks after your Juvederm placement.  Most Juvederm injections now are very comfortable especially with the addition of anesthetic to the Juvederm.  I agree with the other reviewers that you need to see your practitioner to make sure you are not developing a possible infection or other complication especially if there is an ulceration in the skin.

Dr. Liu

Grace Liu, MD
Newport Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Pain after Juvederm injection

+1

To answer your question, most patients have very little discomfort following Juvederm injections...especially this far out.  I would definitely go back and see your injectionist to make sure that something else isn't going on.

I hope that helps!

Gregory A. Buford, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Pain after Juvederm Injection

+1

Thanks for the question.

13 days out from your Juvederm injection, you should not be experiencing any pain or discomfort. I recommend you follow up with your clinician for an evaluation.

Glenn Vallecillos, M.D., F.A.C.S. 

Glenn Vallecillos, MD

Pain after Juvederm injections

+1

The new Juvederm XC actually has Lidocaine incorporated into the new folrmula. This improvement, plus a topical anesthetic or a dental block given by the physician should allow for only minimal pain during the treatment.  The discomfort that sometimes comes after the injections should only last a couple of day. I would recommend returning to your physician so he can rule out other complications that can occur.  I hope this helps.

Kindest regards

Neil J. Zemmel

Neil J. Zemmel, MD, FACS
Midlothian Plastic Surgeon

Pain after Hyaluronic acid injection

+1

After 13 days there should be no pain. You should see your dermatologist to check if an infection has developed.

Robert Kasten, MD
Mainz Dermatologic Surgeon

Juvederm Injections: Minimize the discomfort with the XC product

+1

Juvederm is a hyaluronic acid based filler that can be utilized for smile lines and other areas of the face. Juvederm has too lines: Ultra and Ultra plus which vary on the amount of cross linking. Allergan just recently released Juvederm with powdered lidocaine in it called Juvederm XC. This is a wonderful product and obviates the need for lower facial dental blocks. I inject the smile lines with topical anesthetic and ice and it is very comfortable. The discomfort you are experiencing currently, is likely from persistent swelling and possible bruising. This can persist for over 2 weeks. You can try cool compresses to the area daily, but I would return for a check up from your physician.

Andrew P. Trussler, MD