How Long Will my Scar Be Red/purple and Itchy For After Mole Removal?

I had two moles removed off of my head in early December. One on the back of my head and one on my right sideburn. Both were benign, but the scars are still a red/purple color and the one on the back of my head which is the bigger of the two is still itchy. Is this normal?

Scar

+1

It can take up to one year for a scar to fully mature.  It is important to keep the sun exposure down to a minimum on those areas as they heal.  

Scar Maturity after Surgery

+1

It can take 6-12 months for a scar to fully mature. During that time, it would be good to use a sunscreen and/or hat to prevent sun exposure to the scar. Since a scar has a much thinner epidermis overlying it (compared to normal skin), the UV rays can penetrate deeper and cause dilation of the blood vessels. This can cause the scar to become more pink. With proper treatment the pinkness to a scar is the last thing to fade out. If your scar is itching, becoming firm or raised, it would be a good idea to see your dermatologist. Sometimes scars become hypertrophied or develop into a keloid. These are basically scars that produce too much collagen. Hypertrophic scars and keloids are frequently easily treated with injections of steroids into the scar or special silicone bandages/gels and massage of the scar. Good luck.

Andrew Kaufman, MD