2 weeks post op, my breast are very high up. How long do I need to wait until my implants drop? (photo)

Im a 2 weeks PO. My breasts are so high. This is not what I thought they would look like after surgery. I had transumbilical breast augmentation and 350 cc saline implants placed. Under my muscle. Is this normal? How long until they drop?

High riding breast implants two weeks after transumbilical breast augmentation

+2
Thank you for your question.  I agree your implants look very high however breast implants most always take six weeks to three months to settle after breast augmentation.

Hopefully yours will continue to drop and assume a much more normal position.  However you need to discuss this with your plastic surgeon who well no Hollow his pocket dissection was done.  If they do not drop a simple revision is possible.

High riding implans

+2
Thank you for your breast augmentation question.

• High riding implants are always worrying
  • They will almost always settle down in a good position, as the muscle spasm relaxes.
  • It may take six weeks - or even longer and often one side settles first.
  • In fact your photo shows that one side already is lower than the other.
  • Be sure to discuss your concerns with your surgeon.
Hope this helps. Best wishes.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Implant drop

+2
I would suggest you discuss this with your surgeon.  You certainly are very early in the healing pproces; however, your surgeon is the only one who knows the details of the pocket dissection and therefore where you can expect the implants to settle.

Michael B. Tantillo, MD

3-4 months

+1
When breast implants are first put into your body, they typically sit higher up in the chest. This is because it’s the path of least resistance – your body requires some time to adjust to their presence, regardless of whether they’ve been placed in a sub-mammary (between breast tissue and chest muscle) or sub-muscular (under both the breast and chest muscle). Immediately following surgery, you’ll find that your newly enhanced breasts appear very full and swollen, especially in the upper portion above the nipples. Your skin will most likely look very tight and your nipples may point slightly downward as well. This may make the shape and overall appearance of your breasts appear unnatural. Don’t worry, because they will change for the better, something casually known as “dropping and fluffing”.

As your body accommodates to your new implants, you’ll notice that your breasts will gradually look more and more natural – the way you hoped they’d be! Over the course of about three to four months, your body creates new skin to accommodate the additional volume of your implants. This natural process is called “tissue expansion”, and relieves the tightness you may be experiencing. It allows for the implants to settle more into a better position with the help of gravity. A gradual redistribution of volume from the upper to the lower breast occurs, resulting in an enlargement and rounding out of the lower breast.
Although it's often called "dropping", it is more like "redistribution". The "fluffing" part refers to the impression that the lower breast enlarges and that your skin softens with the creation of new tissues. The extent to which this occurs depends on several factors, including the implant size, the tightness of your skin, and your body shape.

This takes longer in patients with smaller breasts and tighter skin. Ask your surgeon if a bandage wrapped around the top portion of your breasts can help.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

6 months

+1
It is normal for your breasts to go through changes over the months following breast augmentation. When done correctly, expect 3 to 6 months to see the final result. They look exactly the way they are supposed to look right now

Good Luck

Jacob Freiman, MD, FACS
Miami Beach Plastic Surgeon