How Long Will a Mommy Makeover Take to Perform? Also, What Type of Anesthesia is Used for It? Is It Safe to Be Under That Long?

With a recent death of a woman having this surgery and lipo of the neck, I was wondering if it was safe to be under for so long. I plan on still having my surgery but was thinking if have a breast lift/aug would be better instead of having the bl/aug and a tt. I am actually having it with the same doc, I feel that it was not anything he did. I am also going to get a health check to make sure I am fit to have surgery even though I have no medical problem. Thanks for your answers

Anesthesia time for mommy makeover

+2

Hi - it is good to see that you are taking these things into consideration. Depending on what you are planning on having (and truthfully if you are a small or larger person), it takes anywhere from 3.5-5 hours to do a mommy makeover surgery. This is almost always done under general anesthesia. General anesthesia is relatively safe, and up to 4-5 hours is the most I will do for a patient who is going home the same day. A lot of the anesthesia providers I work with also agree with this. Not all plastic surgeons require their patients to have a pre-operative physical, but I do, as sometimes underlying conditions that may not have revealed themselves (such as thyroid problems), can have consequences during general anesthesia. If you are worried, I would see your primary care doctor and let them know you are planning on having surgery. 

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Mommy Make Over Time in Operating Room?

+2

You are wise to be concerned about the safety considerations of combined plastic surgical procedures. Online consultants, despite good intentions, will not be able to provide you with good advice and/or reassurance,  given the limited information available.

However, you should be aware that combination surgical procedures are done on a routine basis.  Whether or not a specific patient is a good candidate for the combination procedure,  is best evaluated on an individualized basis (consultation). During this consultation process, after a complete history and physical, the SAFETY  of combining these surgical procedures becomes of paramount importance.  Plastic surgeon, anesthesia provider, duration of surgery, surgery facility will all be important  considerations.

How Long Will a Mommy Makeover Take to Perform? Is It Safe?

+2

I like to limit OR time to four hours, and usually that combination of procedures can be done. This is a common combination procedure. If you are really concerned, these can be done separately. If you have already planned a long recuperation doing the TT first makes sense, since the recovery from the breast surgery is usually quicker. 

All the best. 

Mommy makeover usually done in one operation

+2

Most often a mommy makeover, involving a tummy tuck and breast surgery, can be done in about 5 hours which is a reasonable time for outpatient surgery. Of course you want to check that the facility is accredited. This ensures that there are safety protocols and that all personnel including the anesthesia provider are properly qualified. 

Richard Baxter, MD

Mommy Make-Over Safety

+2

Thank you for your question about the safely of a Mommy Make-Over.‚Äč

•  It is safer to have a Mommy Make-Over in 2 operations.
  • Most lost-risk patients chose to do it in one operation.
  • Anesthesia for a Mommy Make-Over is general anesthesia.
  • Tummy tucks have a higher risk of blood clots than most other surgery.
  • High risk patients stay in hospital overnight and get a blood thinner.
  • The tummy tuck is done first. If surgery goes too long, the breast surgery is postponed. Five and a half hours is a good guide.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Mommy makeover

+2

The breasts and abdomen are commonly performed at the same time. I wonder if the patient you are referring to had the surgery performed in an office or the hospital. I perform them all in a hospital to have an M.D. anesthesiologist present. In the office commonly there are nurses. I like having the extra support that a hospital provides.

It typically takes about 5 hours to perform both procedures which has no increased risk due to lenght of the procedure. I would check those items as well as check out the surgeon.

Rick Rosen, MD
Norwalk Plastic Surgeon

Safety of Mommy Makeover

+2

Breast surgery along with abdominoplasty is a commonly performed procedure with excellent results. For combined procedures like this, patients need to be in good health and free from major medical problems. History of smoking or obesity are risks factors for surgery. Safe outpatient surgery also needs to be performed efficiently and in fully accredited outpatient surgery centers with Board Certified Anesthesiologists. Operating room time must be under 5.5 hours. Under these circumstances, breast surgery along with abdominoplasty is a safe procedure with a predictable recovery process. It is true that you hear of publicized bad outcomes of cosmetic surgery and that is very frightening. But keep in mind that millions of patients have cosmetic surgery with no untoward events, and there are risks with everything we do. It is important to trust your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon as much as your own intuition, and if you would rather stage the procedures because you feel more comfortable doing it that way, then go for it. 

Hayley Brown, MD