How Long Should I Massage for After Lipo?

I am currently 5 months post op for lipo on my love handles. I was advised to massage the areas (due to an ill fitting garment having been given to me for the 1st week post lipo, this created a slight indent, so I have been told massage may help it) I have been massaging for 20mins per day, everyday for the past 5 months and I was wondering how long I will have to continue doing this?

+1

I'm not convinced that massage after lipo does much to affect the final result.  It may help in dispersing some of the swelling, and probably more temporarily than permanently and, for sure, if it makes the areas feel better it is reasonable to have massage.  But since it's not clear that it's necessary to achieve the result, I would say that you can stop it at this point.

I hope that this helps and good luck,

Dr. E

+1

Thanks very much for your question.  I think that at this point in time you can stop doing any massage.  You may still see incremental changes in swelling but you are likely at your endpoint at this time.

Shaun Parson, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Massage after liposuction

+1

This long after liposuction, I don't think that further massage will be all that helpful.  Your daily activities should provide enough motion in your tissue to allow for adequate circulation.

Adam David Lowenstein, MD, FACS
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

Massage after lipo

+1

I am not a big believer in massage after liposuction. I think compression is good for two to four weeks and after that, nothing you do is going to change the results. After 5 months, I would stop the massaging unless it feels good. Its not doing anything for you otherwise.

Paul Wigoda, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction and Massage at 5 Months

+1

The massage may be beneficial at this point if this has caused improvement up until this point.    Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, MD

How Long Should I Massage for After Lipo

+1

You haven't told us if there has been improvement. If there hasn't by now, I find it quite unlikely that further such efforts will be fruitful. 

If there has, I think the question would best be asked of your surgeon who has followed your recovery. 

If no improvement has occurred, ask your surgeon about the possibility of fat grafting to that site. All the best.