How Long is Too Long to Wait Seroma Aspiration?

I am 3 weeks post op of a mini abdominoplasty with liposuction I had a drain in for 2 weeks and it was pulled after putting out 30 ml a day for 2 days in a row. I had it aspirated 5 days ago &have more fluid again. I am going back to have it aspirated on Tuesday. I live in florida and had my surgery in georgia otherwise I'd go twice a week. Will this delay my healing by waiting 7 days between aspirations? Is there anything I can do to stop this and what if any complications can occur?

Seroma post tummy

+1

This can be a pain in the neck.It should be aspirated and if it persists then placing a small drain with compression for 7-10 days should cure the problem. 

Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Seroma after tummy tuck

+1

Seroma after a tummy tuck is not unusual.  My recommendation is to place another drain if after two weeks of aspiration there is still fluid accumulation.  The risk of not treating this definitively is that the seroma will form a membrane that will require surgical excision for cure. 

Daniel Greenwald, MD

+1

Waiting for weekly aspiration doesn't seem too long. It might be better, and easier on you to place a drain, either one like you had at surgery, or one that can be placed right through intact skin (using local anesthesia). 

Another consideration is sclerosis, adding an irritant into the pocket (betadine, tetracycline, absolute alcohol, among others) to hasten the resolution. 

Wearing your compression garment will also help

Thanks for your question, best wishes. 

Hello

+1

Waiting 7 days is not a big problem. What you can do to prevent anymore seroma is to wear compression garment nice and tight not to leave any room from another seroma building up.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS