Flying After Eyebrow Transplant?

How Long Until I Can Take a Long-haul Flight After an Eyebrow Transplant?

Flying after transplant

+1

Flying is not an issue. I generally tell my patients 24-48 hours to be safe. Visit with an experienced surgeon.

Taking a Flight After Eyebrow Transplant

+1

Eyebrow transplant is a minimally invasive procedure—especially using FUE uGraft, wherein the donor hairs are harvested individually and there is no need for stitches. However, whether you use FUE or FUT, the worst of recovery is typically the swelling, bruising, and pain. Changes in cabin pressure during the flight will usually not affect healing or graft survival. You should be okay to fly as soon as you feel up to it, could be within 24 hours of your procedure.

Sanusi Umar, MD
Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Flying after Eyebrow Transplant

+1

You concern is not a problem, nothing can stop you from flying except the obvious severe surgery complications. Such complications might include bleeding or infection, but it is quite rare  and bleeding might occur in the first day after the hair transplantation. Wear a cool had to minimize any distractions.

"Dr.D"

Edward E. Dickerson, IV, MD
Fayetteville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Flying after hair transplant

+1

Flying itself is not a problem unless you were to have a complication of the surgery such as bleeding or infection.  Typically, significant bleeding, is very uncommon and will usually show up in the first 24-48 hours.  Infection typically is apparent in the first week after surgery. Swelling after surgery may be worse in the first few days but in itself isn't a reason not to fly (though if your lids are very swollen, you may need some assistance with vision, e.g. not being able to drive to the airport).  In general if there is a problem, it is most ideal for the surgeon who did the procedure to be in a position to assess the problem.

It therefore is true that a week after the transplant there should be almost no reason not to fly.  You could theoretically fly the next day, though the risk is what's mentioned above.  Every surgeon has different advice. I typically like patients to stay at least the next day to make sure there is no bleeding.

Daniel Berg, MD
Seattle Dermatologic Surgeon

Fling after eyebrow transplant

+1

Flying after an eyebrow transplant is no more deleterious to the result than any normal activities. Theoretically and even practically, you should be able to take a flight the next day. 

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Flying after eyebrow transplantation surgery

+1

Check with your surgeon.  I have had patients fly home after their procedure and had no issues because of this.  Just be aware that even though the chances of you having postoperative bruising and swelling are small, there is the chance that it could happen to you and you will be away from the person who could best address your concerns.  Flying and/or pressure changes in and of itself won't harm the grafts.  Bleeding, picking at them, accidently rubbing them, however, can affect regrowth.  Be upfront with your surgeon and have some flexibility in your travel plans.  

Allan J. Parungao, MD
Oak Brook Plastic Surgeon