Have A Growth Between My Neck and Shoulder and Getting Worse. How Long is Too Long To Treat it? (photo)

i have had this growth for a few years.started out small and has grown more in the past 6 months.family doctor told me to freeze it about 6 months ago with Dr. scholls .got worse.saw a new doctor a few days ago she says it may be a basal cell..i have no insurance and a 33 year old mother of 5.the doctor is trying to set something up for me to get it off but i have bad anxiety anyways and this is topping the cake!!! how long is to long?

Treatment options for a basal cell carcinoma

+2

The appearance of this growth is that of a basal cell carcinoma. The good news is that it looks like the variety of basal cell carcinoma that grows superficially, above the surface of the skin. Typically when I remove this type of growth I will usually use a "shave excision" method. The cancerous growth is actually "shaved off" at a level just below the surface of the skin. One treatment will provide both the biopsy as well as the removal which helps to minimize the cost. The procedure typically takes only a few minutes and is fairly painless. I recommend you see a board certified dermatologist for this treatment. I would not recommend consulting a plastic surgeon as they rarely do shave excisions.

South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

How Long to Wait for Evaluation and Treatment of Possible Skin Cancer

+2

Best option is to follow up with the doctor caring for you and have the lesion biopsied and (if necessary) treated. Skin cancers tend to be slow growing, but yours has been present for at least 5 years so further delay is not a good idea. Don't worry about it, but don't ignore it. Many skin cancers are easily treatable and curable, but the longer that you wait, the greater problems you can have. If the doctor can take care of it, great. If not, get a referral to a doctor or a clinic or a medical center, where they can provide treatment. The best thing that you can do for yourself and your kids is to keep yourself healthy. That means getting the medical care that is necessary for your health and well being. Good luck.

Andrew Kaufman, MD

Have A Growth Between My Neck and Shoulder and Getting Worse. How Long is Too Long To Treat it?

+1

The sooner the better for growths. Especially if they are continuing to change.

Hope this was helpful!

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon