How Long Does It Take After Fat Transfer for Lips to Feel and Look Normal?

Hello, I had fat transfer to my lips two weeks ago and rhinoplasty. The top lip appears to still have some swelling and there is a large gap between my nose and top lip. The top lips feels stiff and does not look or feel normal/natural. I greatly would appreciate your feedback and opinion. Thank you!

Fat Transfer and Swelling

+2

Fat transfer is a great operation and one we anticipate will have some swelling for several weeks.  This is on its own, but you had a simultaneous rhinoplasty which can result in swelling as well.  Thus, you had a combination of surgeries that can cause the lip movement to be restricted and look "unnatural." With time, all of this should resolve.

Best of luck

Vincent Marin, MD, FACS

La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Fat injections

+2
Swelling will last even longer than the firmness. It is quite normal to be swollen after fat injections for more than 4- 6 weeks.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Firmness of fat injected into lips

+2

Any injury produces a response which causes scar to be deposited for nearly 6 weeks. Subsequent to this scars soften and "mature". I find that fat injected into the lips tends to be firm for about 3 weeks before it softens.

Fat trasfer to the lips

+1

It is not unusual to have swelling for 6-12 weeks depending on how much fat was transfered.

Once all the swelling is down you can judge on the result. Be patient.