How Long Will a Lip Implant Last?

What are the positive effects and negative effects of augmenting my lips with implants?

Lip Implants Not Recommended

+1

I highly discourage lip implants.  I’ve never seen one that looks natural or met a person who is satisfied with the final product!  For intimate encounters like kissing, it could be embarrassing because you can feel the product or tubing under the skin.  Hyaluronic acid fillers are best for the lips and they give incredible results.  Hyaluronic acid fillers look and feel natural and over time and with repeated injections, patients tend to have long-lasting effects, requiring less of the filler for future appointments.

Palm Springs Dermatologic Surgeon

How Long Will a Lip Implant Last?

+1

I have performed Lip Augmentation using lip implants for many years and IMHO, the gold standard is the Alloderm lip implant that lasts about 7 years.  Alloderm, in the lips, is soft and supple.  The silastic and saline filled lip implants can last forever but are more stiff and need to be placed within the lip muscle itself making them prone to moving, IMO.

Are lip implants permanent?

+1

The beauty of this forum is that you get several different expert opinions.  The problem is that sometimes the experts disagree.

My patients and I have been VERY satisfied with the lip implants I have performed.  I have NOT had a problem with the implants, although ANY procedure could have a complication (in this case the implants can be easily removed).  Implants offer a PERMANENT lip augmentation technique and they feel entirely natural to both the patient, and to anyone he/she kisses.

Lawrence Kass, MD
Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon

The pros and cons of lip augmentation with lip implants

+1

Hello and thank you for the question.

Lip augmentation may be performed with either injectable fillers such as hyaluronic acids ( Juvederm, Restylane, Perlane), or with more permanent measures such as fat transfer or implants. 

Lip implants may impart many positive features including lip fullness andd greater lip definition, and the results are theoretically permanent.  The cons of lip implants include, but are not limited to:  Increased chance of infection requiring explantation, lip deformation and asymmetry, palpability, and a considerably higher cost than injectable fillers.

I would personally not recommend a lip implant but if you are considering such a procedure consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon or Facial Plastic Surgeon who has extensive experience with this procedure, as this will  increase your likelihood of attaining an acceptable result.

Best of luck ~

Glenn Vallecillos, M.D., F.A.C.S.

Glenn Vallecillos, MD

+1

The lips, eyes and nose are the central focus of the face. But the lips convey sensuality, youth and emotion. Any interference with the lip anatomy SHOULD be done by being aware of its long term effect including scarring, reversibility and risks.

As regards IMPLANTS; there is not a single implant on the market which offers reliable, risk free lip augmentation. Every one of these implants eventually has to be removed or makes its way to the surface and becomes exposed.

Experienced Plastic surgeons have seen this many times. Placing strings or tubes of silicone, Goretex (PTFE) and a host of other products in a thin, moving part of the body (LIPS) ALWAYS results in an increase in volume (caused by both the implant and the swelling caused by the procedure) AND a palpable ridge in the lip. In other words, under the best circumstances, you will end up with lips which LOOK larger but every time you kiss and when you speak or purse your lips the implant(s) will be felt and may be seen.

Eventually, scarring, infection, thinning tissue force a removal which leaves a scar tissue behind. You do NOT get your old pre-implant lip back.

FILLERS - with several great, long-lasting fillers reversible fillers on the market and more coming every day, this is the best way to augment lips.  Very few of us who used lip implants 10 years ago are still doing it today. The long term results do not justify it.

Peter A Aldea, MD

Lip Implants

+1

Lip augmentation can be effectively performed using either fillers or implants.

Lip implant pros: permanent, reversible, consistent and natural appearance, done in the office with you awake

Lip implant cons: can feel the implant (just like fillers, but the fillers go away), cost (although in the long run it may save you money)

Please make sure you see someone who is a specialist in the face who performs these implants to get the best result.

Kimberly Lee, MD

Lip implants

+1
The positive effect would be a fuller natural looking lip. Potential problems are asymmetry , chronic pain, underecorrection or overcorrection , infection, and noticeable scarring. These complications are rare and if there are problems, the implant(s) can be easily be removed.

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon