Best Long Lasting Lip Filler?

I had Juvederm injected in my lips last year. For a few weeks the upper lip look like an awning hanging over my bottom lip. What cause this to happen?

I want to get one of the fillers again. I don't want that to happen again. Do you think Radiesse last longer then the other fillers?

Filler in the lips

+1

Many fillers do not last as long in the lips as in the smile folds. The lips can swell significantly from the “trauma” of inserting the filler. This swelling can last a couple of weeks and might have contributed to the hanging over. Juvederm, Resytlane and Perlane work by binding your own water to plump it up. Radiesse should not be injected in the lips as bumps have been noted to form in this region from its use. Radiesse works well in the cheeks and other areas. Silicone has been used off-label (not for an FDA approved use) but there can be movement of the product and bumps might form many years later. The hyaluronic acids such as Juvederm and Restylane are the most commonly used fillers for the lips today.

Which doctor is much more important than which filler.

+1

Hi!

Radiesse is not a good idea in the lips. Both Juvederm and Restylane work fine. Juvederm probably lasts longer. It is the technique of injection and knowing how much filler to put where in the lips that determine the result..

There are links on my web site to plastic surgery societies, where you can find a doctor near you.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Lip filler

+1

I strongly advise against using Radiesse in the lips unless you want lumpy lips. Juvederm and Restylane are my choice for the lips. It sounds as though you received too much volume. I would consider trying the filler again, but with half the volume that was previously used.

I would caution you against permanent fillers, as they have the potential to cause permanent complications.

Good luck.

Bryan K. Chen, MD
San Diego Dermatologist

Radiesse is NOT recommended for lips

+1

The reason you had the swollen upper lip is likely due to several factors: normal swelling after fillers, too much filler injected, and/or poor technique. Lip augmentation actually does take some skill. Not all injectors are created equal. It is more difficult to inject lips than nasolabial folds. Keep that in mind when you choose an injector.

All fillers will cause some swelling, but most patients are actually quite pleased with the results. Typically, I spend a fair amount of time talking to patients about how they would like to look. Some want a very pouty, full look, while others want a mild improvement. It is only through this personal one-on-one conversation that I can determine how much to inject in a particular area.

Hyaluronic acid fillers (like Juvederm, Restylane, Perlane) are the ones most commonly used for lip augmentation. Radiesse (calcium hydroxyapatite) is not recommended since it can cause lumps t o form in the lips. Silicone injections are also not recommended for the same reason. Some people inject fat into the lips, but I have personally had no experience with that procedure. Lastly, there is a relatively new lip implant, similar to a saline breast implant, but I do not use that technique and worry about the scarring. Good luck!

Sirish Maddali, MD

Lip augmentation

+1

Your concern is probaly not relatad to the ffiller itself but the injection technique used be the person doing the filling.  I strive for natural looks and will fill the lip line a bit and also the "meat" of the lip as needed to show more of the dry mucosa n women with thin lips.

Technique is as important as type of filler for lips

+1

There is real artistry involved in placing fillers in lips so that the result will look natural. Some swelling is normal for a few days with any filler. Any of the HA products in the Restylane/Perlane family or Juvederm would be my choice for lips. I agree do not use Radiesse in lips.

Richard Baxter, MD

It is important for lips to look natural l

+1

Natural looking lips are an art. Radiesse is not a ggod choice for the lips becasue it is a white material and can get lumpy. All the hyuronic acid fillers work well in the lip especially if less is used. If you find yourself over-corrected the hyuronic acid filler can be disolved.

More permanent fillers include fat transfer and silkon, silicone oil droplets.

Lenore Sikorski, MD
Orange County Dermatologist

Juvederm for lips

+1

I perform many lip treatments weekly using Juvederm Ultra exclusively. When Juvederm is placed in the right location and an appropriate amount is used, the results will look extremely natural. I like to think of proper lips as those that fit the person's face. In my hands Juvederm Ultra in the lips will last over a year and occasionally 18-24 months.

Min S. Ahn, MD
Westborough Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lips; What is the Best Long Lasting Filler for Lips?

+1

Hi Mimi,

You may have received too much Juvederm, or had swelling from bruising. Sometimes Juvederm may swell more than usual after injection as it takes up water molecules from under your skin.

Do not put Radiesse in your lips unless you want to have long term lumps and bumps.

Perlane and Juvederm Ultra Plus are the best fillers for lips. If you want the ultimate long term filler then you should consult with an expert in fat transfer. Your own fat is the best long term filler in the lips, but only when performed by an experienced, well trained physician.

Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Lip filler

+1

It sounds like you simply had a bit too much Juvederm injected into your upper lip though it could have simply been prolonged swelling or some bleeding. It sounds as though you are fine now.

You say you don't want fillers again. Radiesse is another filler so it seems it would not be what you want. Generally, if you want your lips fuller some kind of filler needs to be injected.

Edmond A. Zingaro, MD