Which Temporary Filler for Lip Augmentation Lasts Longest?

Which filler last the longest Restylane, Perlane, or Juvederm? Also, when will Restylane Lipp be approved for the states? I also don't like how bumpy Restylane is. Are they all the same? I have been having Restylane but it only lasts a couple of months -- I think it should last much longer.

Restylane and Perlane are approved to indicate that they...

+4

Restylane and Perlane are approved to indicate that they can last up to 6 months. Juvederm is approved by the FDA to say that it lasts up to a year.

Everyone is different and in my practice it seems that injection into the lips lasts less time than injection into other areas of the face.

Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Try Juvederm for lip augmentation

+2

Juvederm lasts a bit longer than the other fillers, but I agree with my colleagues that lip augmentation enjoys the least longevity of all the locales fillers can call home. I am not sure if this has been scientifcally studied, but that is my impression also.

If you take the time and have the inclination to read filler studies, you will note that nearly all of them involve the nasolabial fold. It is a much easier place to gauge and document depth and severity, the Lapiere scale, than other areas of the face. For this reason the documentatation for longevity is measured in this area.

You might ask your physician to inject Juvederm, it is a somewhat smoother product and should be a bit less bumpy.

As for your other question, I have no idea when Restylane Lipp will be approved.

Arnold R. Oppenheim, MD
Virginia Beach Dermatologist

Duration of dermal fillers for lip augmentation

+1

Juvederm can last up to a year. While restylane and perlane lasts for up to 6 months. Restylane has received FDA approval for lip augmentation, and for many patients is the preferred option for lip augmentation.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Lip fillers

+1

Restylane is now approved for lip augmentation.  Juvederm and Perlane are not, however, they are commonly used for lip augmentation as well.  Which one to use depends on physician and patient preference.  They all seem to last about 6 months in the lips.  The most important thing is to go to a board-certified core physician (dermatologist or plastic surgeon) who understands and honors lip anatomy, so that the result will be soft and natural. 

Donna Bilu Martin, MD
Aventura Dermatologist

Juvederm lasts longest for lip augmentation.

+1

Hi!

Lip augmentation with Juvederm feels natural and lasts the longest. That's still only a few months, because the lips move so much.

For lip definition (as opposed to augmentation),  we use Restylane.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Depends on the product

+1

The current fillers that I will use to increase lip size are JUVEDERM ULTRA, JUVEDERM ULTRA PLUS, RESTYLANE, or PERLANE. Despite FDA time tables for resorption, we have determined that injection into the lips lasts less time than into other areas of the face. This is most likely due to continual movement of the lip muscles which may break down the product faster and due to the vast blood supply to this area which may draw the product out of the system faster. I typically use JUVEDERM ULTRA or JUVEDERM ULTRA PLUS for lip augmentation. I feel it is easier to work with than RESTYLANE and PERLANE. The Juvederm Ultra Plus is a thicker particle (compared to Juvederm Ultra) and is used in my practice for women desiring extra fullness. I believe that it lasts just a bit longer than Juvederm Ultra. I find that fullness lasts about 4 to 6 months in the lips and occasionally longer for some patients. All of these hyaluronic acid products are good (and safe) for lip injections.

David Rankin, MD
Jupiter Plastic Surgeon

Juvederm lasts longer

+1

Juvederm seems to last the longest in my clinical experience. Restylane and Perlane last approximately 6 months. I agree that injection into the lips does not last as long as injection into the nasolabial folds, for example.

Hratch Karamanoukian, MD, FACS
Buffalo General Surgeon

FIller longevity

+1

The fillers last different amounts of time but also the location of injection impacts their longevity as well.  As the studies have shown in the nasolabial folds, Perlane and Restylane last about 6 months, and Juvederm may last up to a year.