How Long Does It Take for Juvederm to Go Away?

About a year and a half ago I got a lip augmentation done using Juvederm,The doctor told me it would only last a year.As I first stated its been a year and a half ago that I have gotten this procedure done.Is there anything at all I can do to remove this out of my lips completely? I truly dont want fuller lips anymore its difficult for me to eat and talk.Is there anything I can do not involving surgery? Or what should I do? Its been exactly exactly a year and a half already.Someone please help.

Making Jeuvederm go away

+1

The length of time that Jeuvederm lasts depends on a number of factors such as location it is placed, the technique, type of Jeuvederm (e.g. Jeuvederm vs Jeuvederm Plus vs Jeuvederm Ultra) and other factors such as underlying medical conditions. For example when placed in muscle for lip augmentation (an off label FDA usage) it does not last as long perhaps 6-8 months.. Therefore your condition is somewhat puzzling. I would verify that it was Juvederm that was injected rather than a permanent material. Wydase can be injected soon after the injection to dissolve the juvederm but at this late date may not help as much and does not remove or change any internal scarring that may have occured

How long does it take for Juvederm to go away

+1

It is unusual for Juvederm to last longer than 9-10 months.

It is even more unusual for it to cause difficulty in eating or talking.

It is possible that your symptoms, as described may not have anything to do with the Juvederm injections. (or was there something other than Juvederm injected along with or instead of it)

I suggest that you see a Board Certified Dermatologist or/and Ear Nose and Throat specialist to try to come to a proper diagnosis.

A small skin biopsy (2.5mm punch) may help.

Eugene Mandrea, MD
Chicago Dermatologist

Juvederm in lips

+1

Most juvederm products will dissolve in about one year.  If it is still present injection of hyaluronidase may help to faciitate the resorption.

Full lips

+1

Juvederm and Restylane do go away usually by one year. I do have some patients who retain some, not all of the filler, for more than a year, but these are not permanent fillers.  If you had one of these fillers, and not Artefill or some other filler that might be considered a longer term filler from overseas which is not approved here in the U. S., then hyaluronidase injections should help dissolve the Restylane or Juvederm.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Juvederm for lips

+1

I was part of the Juvederm trial for the nasolabial folds (the creases that run from the corner of the nose to the corner of the mouth) before Juvederm was released.  It was not unusual to see the effect of the Juvederm last over 9 months in that area. 

However, due to the increased movement of the lip area, I have never seen it last in the lips as long as in the nasolabial fold.  For your lips to be full 1.5 years after Juvederm treatment is unusual.  This could be due to a reaction initially to the Juvederm, but I would have expected redness that would have brought you in to see your treating doctor.   This far out, there likely is no Juvederm present.  You could certainly try Wydase to see if there is any improvement.   If it does improve after Wydase, that would mean that you surprisingly still had Juvederm present.  If not, then you may need a small biopsy of tissue to see what is going on to further direct your treatment.

Sincerely,

Kathleen Archer MD

Oculofacial plastic and reconstructive  surgeon

Houston, TX

Kathleen F. Archer, MD
Houston Oculoplastic Surgeon

Juvederm

+1

Juvederm in the lips should not last long. Max 3 months.

However I have seen fillers sta long.

sEE A BOARD CERTIFIED PLASTIC SURGEON( AMERICAN BOARD OF PLASTIC SURGERY) For proper diagnosis and treatment. It could be juvederm and thus can be disolved with an injection or two.

Long Lasting Juvederm in Lips, or Is It Even Juvederm?

+1

Hi Egomaniac,

In some patients Juvederm may last for much longer than the usual amount of time.  Many patients are happy when this occurs as they have the correction that they desire without having to incur the pain and expense of having further Juvederm injections.  In your case since you are dissatisfied, I would advise you to find an expert injector physician and have injections to dissolve the Juvederm.  If it does not dissolve, then you must consider the possiblity that something other than Juvederm was injected.  Only your initial injecting physician or a biopsy can determine what was actually injected into your lips.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Juvederm in the lips lasts about 6 months

+1

After 1.5 years there will be no Juvederm left in your lips. The swelling may be due to an allergic reaction. I advise you to consult with a dermatologist.

Robert Kasten, MD
Mainz Dermatologic Surgeon

Juvederm on the lips usually last 4-6 months

+1

I am surprised your Juvederm lasted more than one year-- it makes me question whether it was indeed Juvederm that was injected or if something else is going on.  

Juvederm is FDA approved for smile lines (nasolabial folds), though many of us use it off label on the lips, under eyes, etc.  In the FDA trial, Juvederm on average lasted about 9 months along the nasolabial folds.  Our experience is that Juvederm only lasts about 4-6 months in the lip area.  This is because the constant movement of the lips tends to degrade the product more quickly.  

The fact that your Juvederm is lasting more than 18 months is concerning.  Assuming it is indeed Juvederm, you can consider having a physician inject hyaluronidase (an enzyme that dissolves hyaluronic acid) to the area to see if it may dissolve the Juvederm.  If that doesn't work, I would consider doing a biopsy to determine if something else is going on.

-Dr. Mann

Margaret Mann, MD
Cleveland Dermatologic Surgeon