How Long Should JPs Be in After Implant Removed? What Can I Do to Speed Up Removal of JP?

I had a implant removed after 4 years of being in due to infection. I did have some fat grafting about 4 months ago which may have lead to infection but PS unsure. The jp drain has been in place now for 4 weeks and still putting out between 34-45 cc a day. I really need to go back to work but need the drains to come out. Is there anything I can do to speed up the recovery?

Prolonged Drainage after Removal of Breast Implant?

+1

I'm sorry to hear about the prolonged drainage you have experienced; unfortunately, there is nothing that you can do (assuming you have not been overly active) specifically to speed up the recovery.  There are measures that your plastic surgeon may take if prolonged drainage continues to be a present.

Persistent JP drainage following implant removal

+1

There is really no set number of days for leaving a JP drain in place.  We like for the drainage to be less than 30 cc over a 24 hour period.  Your situation seems a bit unusual and unexpected for the drainage to persist for this long.  Keep following up with your surgeon and make sure your infection is under control.  Take the drain out too early and you risk developing a seroma or an abscess. 

Prolonged drain output

+1

Typically we would expect drains to be removed by five days to a week after such a procedure.  Sometimes it could be a bit longer, but 4 weeks is definitely on the longer side.  We don't normally remove drains until the fluid output is around 20 - 30 cc in a 24 hour period, so there is no set number of days they stay in, rather they stay until they are ready to be removed.  Without a bit more information it will be difficult to give you a definitive answer, but I can at least give you a couple of pertinent questions that you should get answered for yourself.  My first question is whether or not your surgeon removed the capsule from around the implant.  If all he did was remove the implant and not perform a complete capsulectomy, or capsule removal, this could be the reason for the ongoing fluid production, and this will probably continue indefinitely as long as there is capsule tissue in the breast.  The second question is what is the character of the fluid that is draining.  If it is clear straw colored serum or slightly blood tinged, this would be what is expected, but if there is a cloudy or milky nature to the fluid, it could indicate something else going on in the tissues that should be investigated.  It could indicate further infection or tissue inflammation or milk production from the breast tissue, which we would call a galactocele. I know this doesn't give you any definite answers, but it does confirm for you that 4 weeks is on the long side, and it is appropriate to at least ask a couple of questions.  For now, I would keep activity light, wear a bra at all times, and follow up closely with your surgeon.

Joseph L. Grzeskiewicz, MD