Does Using Blood Thinners Like Lovenox Eliminate the Risk of Blood Clots After a Tummy Tuck?

I am looking into getting a tummy tuck and keep reading that the largest risk is blood clots/PE. I saw that several doctors give their patients blood thinners to try and prevent this. I am curious how effective is this? Does it significantly decrease / eliminate the risk? Also, what questions should I ask my potential surgeon at my consult to insure that all necessary precautions are taken? Thanks for your time and advice!

+1

Lovenox will not eliminate the risk, but it can reduce the risk in patients who are in higher risk categories by the Caprini risk assessment, with which your plastic surgeon should be familiar.  Lovenox should not be given to every tummy tuck patient as it can increase the risk of bleeding and hematomas.  It has a risk/benefit profile like any medication.  Make sure that your plastic surgeon performs hundreds of tummy tucks each year and understands all of the up to date information.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA