How Long Will It Take for my Indented Facial Scar to Heal?

I had skin cancer cut out of my upper lip approx 9 months ago which has left an indented scar running straight down from under my nose to my upper lip. Alot of doctors have said that the surgeon has done a wonderful job and it is a fantastic cut but I'm unhappy that it is indented. My surgeon said it will even out and heal by itself completely between 12 and 18 months do you think that can happen since its already been 9 months and little has changed? Should I wait or have a dermal filler now?

Fixing an indentation in a lip scar

+1

Percutaneous scar release and selective hyaluronic acid volume replacement will help repair the indentation of the lip scar. 

my Indented Facial Scar to Heal

+1

If you are truly unhappy than proceed with scar revision now. I would like to see photos and make sure you are ready. Seek 3 boarded surgeons to evaluate. 

Timetable for scar revision

+1

In general, it takes about 12 months for a scar to completely "mature" and may continue to change. This means that it may look better...or worse...during this time.  Most plastic surgeons advise waiting 12 months before undergoing scar revision. On the face, however, we may be more likely to do something slightly earlier.  Dermal fillers sound like a good option for you. This will serve 2 purposes - it will help improve the look of the scar as the body continues to improve it on its own, and it may also help to stimulate collagen formation and speed the normal healing process.  Speak to your plastic surgeon about your options, but it sounds like something may be able to be done to help you now.

Matthew Schulman, MD