How Long is Hydrated 200 Units of Botox Good For?

Once hydrated, how long is 200 unit/10ml saline good for kept cold?

How Long is Vial of Botox Stable

+2

Despite the recommendations in the vial, it is safe to use the botox for at  least 1-2 weeks after it is mixed. I do not understand the dilution you describe.

Question about dilution of Botox

+1

Fromt he sound of your question and from the numbers that don't make sense (no one dilutes with 10cc and no botox comes in 200 units) I suspec this question is coming from someone who is planning on injecting him/herself or having an unlicensed friend do the injections. This is extremely dangerous and not to mention illegal. I think it is safe to say that none of the experts on this site will assist you in carrying this out by answering this question. If you are asking for a legitimate reason...such as this is what your doctor is using....than I would run, no walk, far far from his/her office and perhaps even alert the state medical board.

Matthew Schulman, MD

How long does reconstituted Botox last?

+1

In the US Botox comes in 50 and 100 unit vials.  So the 200 unit vial is not from here and therefore may or may not contain Botox or other ingredients. Also, 10 cc is too great a volume to dilute this amount of Botox.  It increases the chances of side effects.

The package insert states that reconstituted Botox should be used within 4 hours, but Botox may last and stay active for up to 2 weeks.

Another interesting thing is that Botox is sold only to licensed physicians in this country.

Emily Altman, MD
Short Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Be suspicious

+1

There is no legal vial of Botox that contains 200 units. And 10 cc's of saline is a very high dilution, increasing the risk of diffusion if the correct number of units is injected. Botox lasts longer than the 4 hour package insert. It certainly lasts a couple of weeks, but I am not sure you are talking about Botox. It could be an illegal imposter. Be careful!

Mary Lupo, MD
New Orleans Dermatologist

Depends on dilutent

+1

According to the package insert, only 4 hours.....realistically, it can last much longer.  It partially depends on what you use to reconstitute Botox.  If you use bacteriostatic saline, some studies have suggested a shelf life of 6 weeks.  Personally, I never use something that old for fears of contamination, but some people do.

More importantly, why are you asking this?   Let your doctor who is injecting it decide when it is no longer appropriate to use the product.

Brent Spencer, MD
Frisco Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox storage

+1

10 cc dilution of Botox in a 100 unit vial is not the standard of care. 200 cc vials don't exist in the U.S. So before you concern yourself with the question of how long it can last when stored, be sure that you only use FDA-approved U.S. Sold Botox as overseas substitutes could be falsified and dangerous! Make sure you are being treated by a board certified physician who is ordering the Botox from Allergan, U.S. Otherwise you are putting your health in jeopardy. Botox is commonly stored by physicians, as an off-label procedure, after being mixed with sterile water and preservative, in a refrigerated environment for up to a couple of weeks.  In most busy cosmetic practices the Botox vial is empty within a few working days. 

Ronald Shelton, MD