How Long Does It Take to Heal After Removal of Excess Skin?

Hello, I'm a 25 year old male. I used to weigh a little over 300 pounds and over the last seven months I have brought my weight down to 180 pounds. I have excess skin in several places but the worst and the one that concerns me the most is my chest. I need to get this skin reduced but my problem is that I will be going to army basic training in four months. If I have surgery in the next month, would the wounds heal enough to get me through basic?

How Long Does It Take to Heal

+3

If everything goes well, usually by six weeks you should not have any continuing restrictions. By that time the incisions will have attained almost all (90%) of the strength that they will achieve. And it may take a couple of months before you have regained your level of conditioning. 

So do this soon if you so choose. Ask your doctor about starting on Iron tablets before surgery so that you will have enough to restore your red blood cells after surgery without the delay that iron deficiency might cause. 

Congratulations on the weight loss, acceptance into the army. Thanks for ;the question and best wishes. 

Healing after skin removal

+2

Your answer will really depend on which procedures you will need.  Typically after any skin excision procedure such as a body lift or upper trunk lift, most plastic surgeons will recommend no heavy lifting or strenuous activity (ie working out) for about 6 weeks.  After this time period most will clear you to start resuming activity as tolerated gradually.  I hope this helps with your planning.

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS