How long does it take to heal after lipo and tummy tuck?

Hello my name is Sonia and it has been 5 weeks and I still have discomfort in my abdomen. For example I get a burning sensation, sharp pains, and inflammation in the front part of my stomach. I a solution I began wearing a girdle over night to make me feel a bit better but now it doesn't seem to work anymore. I don't have any signs of infections, fever, or redness. Is there anything else I can do to reduce the pain/swelling? Thank you for your time.

Tummy tuck healing

+1

See your surgeon to be examined and determine the cause of pain.It can be anything from normal healing, to doing too much exercise to absorbing or even infected sutures. If your tummy tuck pain is steadily if slowly improving, chances are it is normal healing. 

Discomfort following tummy tuck

+1
5 weeks is still early. It is very common to have soreness following this surgery and it may persist for weeks to months. Without any symptoms of infection, seroma or other complications, I would put this in the range of normal post operative soreness.

It will get better. Try to get back in to your daily activities, but don't overdo it! Remember, this is a major surgery...you deserve a little recovery time after this!

Good luck, feel better, and I hope this helps!!

Beth Collins, MD
New Haven Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck

+1

Tummy Tuck is a major surgery and it will take a few months to heal and maybe up to a year to see the full effects of the procedure.  Keep doing what you are doing and know it will get better with time.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Tummy tuck healing

+1
Full healing takes up to a year.  Inflammation would warrant a visit to your plastic surgeon to rule out a late seroma or latent infection.  Your girdle may have stretched and is not providing enough support or you may be overdoing in your activities of daily living.  Abdominoplasty isn't minor surgery and, as the swelling decreases, you can become more aware of sensory changes and generalized aches and pains but definitely make sure that these problems aren't symptomatic of something more serious. Happy new year!

Robert L. Kraft, MD