5 months post op, How Long Do Hair Transplant Results Last? (photo)

hi i had hair transplant 5 month ago.i am 17 year old. my hair not lost. i'm tie a turban that's why my side hair are gone. that's why i had transplant. please tell me how much time my hair get back.

How Long Do Hair Transplant Results Last?

+2

Hairs transplanted may grow imediately or go into a temporary state of shock.  Only 1/3 of the hair folliclea, at any one time, are in their growth phase with each growth phase lasting 3-4 months.  It typically takes 1 year for all the transplanted hair to enter the growth phase.  During the second, post transplant year, the transplanted hairs become thicker.  I tell my hair transplant patients to use Propecia to maintain hair growth and encourage re-growth of dormant follicles.

Traction Alopecia & How Long Do Hair Transplant Results Last?

+2

Feel confident that you will be getting your transplanted hair very soon. Most Hair Transplants start growing in about three to four months.  However, did you know that it may actually take longer than One Year to notice your results, sometimes longer.

You have a condition called, Traction Alopecia from the turban pulling on your hair.  This condition is also common in people who continuously braid their hair.  Although it's a little controversial to get a hair transplant at age 17, your condition (traction) may be an exception.  Good Luck!"

John E. Frank, MD

Hair Transplant Results

+1

After hair transplant for traction alopecia (caused by the constant friction of your turban) the new hair should last a lifetime since it will not be sensitive to DHT, in the event of pattern baldness. Once you have had the procedure, you should see new growth within 4 to 6 months. If it has been longer than this and you are still seeing no new growth, go back to see your surgeon. Also, be sure not to wear your turban, or to wear it less. Otherwise, the hair loss in this area will recur.

Sanusi Umar, MD
Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

How log does it take for hair to grow back after a hair transplant?

+1

Generally, hair goes through a phase called hair shock and the hairs fall out initially. Some of the follicles start into the growth phase after 3 to 4 months at which time you will see some hair growth. About 50% of the hair will start growing at 6 months and 95% at one year. However, maximum density is at about 1 1/2 years, since at one year some of the hairs are still very short. Using Rogaine 5% may help this process go a little faster. At your age, I wouldn't suggest Propecia. 

E. Ronald Finger, MD
Savannah Plastic Surgeon