How Long Does Ha Under the Eyes Really Last?

How long does it really last when ha is injected under the eyes, under the muscle? Some says it last 6 months, 1 yr, 2 yr, others "at least 3 years" ? Why such a difference? Also i've read somewhere that in this area, hyaluronidase is not produced by the body so ha does not break down. is it true? Also I've read lots of horror stories where people say they still have their ha bags years after the injection. Maybe in this case, it is because ha is placed too superficially. What do you thk?

Hyaluronic acid filler under the eye can last a long time

+1

There is a lot of variability for duration of hyaluronic acid filler in the under eye area. On the short end of duration it can be as little as 6 months, but I've seen filler last well beyond 2 or 3 years in that location. Longer duration is more likely in areas that are not under constant motion like the lips are.

The under eye area is a great place for HA filler, but this is an advanced injection technique and should only be performed by a physician who is skilled and comfortable with this area. It is a very rewarding place to place filler and can create a very rejuvenating appearance in the right candidate.

It's important to only get a hyaluronic acid filler in the under eye, or tear trough, and not Radiesse. It's is not the proper product for that location.

San Antonio Dermatologic Surgeon

Hyaluronic acid under the eyes

+1

The HA's or hyaluronic acid fillers can be used safely under the eyes but it has to be done expertly.  I usualy use restylane because of the smaller particle size and easier malleability especially when diluted. It usualy lasts 6 months but may last longer.

How long does HAs last under the eye?

+1

Typically, I tell patients that HA's will typically last around 6-12 months, depending on the person and where the product is injected.  The tear trough area usually lasts on the longer end of this spectrum and may even last up until a year in some patients since it is in an area that doesn't have much movement.  Areas such as around the mouth may not last as long since there is a lot of movement in this area.  Our bodies eventually break this product down, so there is bound to be individual variation as to how long this takes.  Tear trough injections are  deep, on top of the bone to avoid bumps or any bluish discoloration known as the Tyndall effect.  

Jessica Kulak, MD
Fairfax Facial Plastic Surgeon

How Long Do Fillers Last Under the Eyes?

+1

Hi Fureo.  We have found Restylane to be the preferred product for the under eye (tear trough) area and find that it lasts about 1 year.  

The product is going to look better when injected under the muscle and so we think finding a practitioner that uses Restylane or Juvederm and injects under the muscle is most important.  Stay away from thicker fillers like Radiesse in this area as it can cause problems.

As for how long it lasts, only you will be able to say once it's injected.  Good luck.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD