How Long Does a Good Rhinoplasty Last? A Lfetime? 20 Years?

I am curious. Reading many posts about people having troubles years down the road after having rhinoplasty. Some with a collapsed mid section, scar tissue that obstructs breathing,pinching, twisting, or buckling. I understand there are risks, but going in to this (my surgery is in less that 2 weeks) I just want some opinions from Doctors who have been doing this for many years and what they have seen and experienced.

How Long Does a Rhinoplasty Last?A good rhinoplasty will last a lifetime.

+2

A good rhinoplasty will last a lifetime. You will always look better than you would if you did not do the surgery. However, like the rest of your body you will experience normal aging of the nose with some sagging of the tip and lengthening of the nose. I have seen some noses that I did 30+ years ago and they have not changed (I know that's not a lifetime, but...)

Better than the original

+2

The changes after surgery are permanent and your nose will stand up to the aging process better than a nose than an nose that never had surgery.  During the aging process the tip of the nose typically droops and the hump on the dorsum of the nose becomes slightly more prominent because the tissue around it thins.  Tip elevation and dorsal hump reduction are common requests during rhinoplasty so those changes have better chance of standing up to the aging process after surgery. 

Stefan Mark Szczerba, MD

A Good Rhinoplasty Lasts A Lifetime

+2

With advanced techniques of rhinoplasty that maintain structural support of the nose the result should last for the rest of your life.  

Sam Naficy, MD

Rhinoplasty

+2

In general, a rhinoplasty can last a lifetime.  It all depends upon what is needed to be accomplished. That be said, sure some patients can have complications or unfavorable results but that is surgeon dependent and patient dependent as well.

Lifetime of a Rhinoplasty

+2

When performed with good techniques that preserve the functional anatomy a rhinoplasty is a once in a lifetime procedure. With any single operation there is always the chance of an unexpected outcome, but as a general rule most people get what they are expecting. Modern surgical methods are much improved, and are designed to prevent many of the problems seen in the past. Healing still takes at least one full year, but the results should be long-standing.

Ira D. Papel, MD
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

+2

I have performed Rhinoplasty for over 22 years and IMHO, this will depend on what was done during the Rhinoplasty.  

A good rhinoplasty should last a lifetime

+2

Unlike other cosmetic procedures that address rejuvenation, or involve implants, a good rhinoplasty should last a lifetime. If the nose has enough structure after rhinoplasty (and no artificial implant material) the nose will not collapse or pinch, or buckle over time.