How Long from Consult to Surgery for a Rhinoplasty?

I have been considering a rhinoplasty for the past ten years, and finally have the means (and the bravery!) to go for it. As such, I'm ready to do it as soon as possible. How long does it typically take between the initial consult and the surgery? I'm in the process of scheduling consults with docs the second week of December, but would really love to have my surgery before Christmas so that I'll have the holidays to recover. Too rushed?

Scheduling Your Rhinoplasty Surgery

+1

Timing really depends on the surgeon's availability, and when one is ready to have the procedure. It will be necessary to have a pre-op appointment prior to surgery and full physical exam by your physician to confirm you are in optimal condition to have surgery performed. Depending on the patient's circumstances and availability, the pre-op appointment can sometimes be combined with the initial in-office consultation. When this is the case, there is usually prior correspondence consisting of a photo evaluation through email and/or Skype consult.  I would recommend speaking with a highly skilled board certified rhinoplasty specialist. Thank you, and I hope this helps.

Dr. Nassif

How long from consult can rhinoplasty be done

+1

The decision whether or not to have surgery should never be rushed.  Make sure you are comfortable with your surgeon and that she/he has performed thousands of rhinoplasty procedures similar to yours.  Many busy surgeons tend to be booked up during the holiday season since many patients are off from work and school at that time of the year.  It is critically important to find the right surgeon to perform your surgery rather than worry about when you are having it done.

Web reference: http://seattlefacial.com

Surgery Time

+1

Great question! You can book the surgery the day of your consultation, but the actual surgery date will have be determined by the Patient Care Coordinator and the availability of the surgeons schedule. Our office requires two weeks between the consultation and surgery date, as this gives ample time for prep (both for the patient and surgeon).
Best of luck to you!

Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhino Process

+1

The timing is a matter of availability between you and your surgeon. If you are available and he has a time slot you could do the surgery the next day after the consultation. If you have put good thought into this and you have researched and are confident with your surgeon there is no need for a "waiting period".

Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

If you have waited 10 years to do your rhinoplasty, do not rush and make a poor decision.

+1

Hello jrdekker;

I appreciate that, sometimes, people decide after waiting a long time that it is time for action.  While it is possible to go to the operating room within a week of having the consultation, remember that time is needed to have your physical examination and laboratory tests, so that you are, indeed, found fit for surgery.  Most likely, you are, but you never want to take any chances - never be part of a shortcut.  Your health and safety are #1.

If you are going to do consults the second week of December, that does not leave much time before Christmas to:

•    Conduct all your consultations
  •    Make comparisons
  •    Possibly, reconsult with surgeons you favor. 

Typically, from the day of surgery until the time that you look reasonably good to appear in public, is 7-10 days.

Robert Kotler, MD, FACS
Facial Plastic Surgeon
Author, SECRETS OF A BEVERLY HILLS COSMETIC SURGEON

Rhinoplasty Scheduling

+1

Be sure you find a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon that you are comfortable with and have seen many before and after pictures of his/her patients. Many surgeons offer computer imaging so you can see what results you can expect.December is usually the busiest month for most surgeons as patients want to take advantage of their holiday break. However things happen and openings can occur and patients that are ready can slip into these openings. When  you schedule your consultation you might ask what openings are available and let the staff know you may want surgery soon. Surgeons who have their own surgery center (versus the hospital) may have a little more flexibilty in getting you on their surgery schedule.You need to stop taking all blood thinners such as aspirin at least two weeks before you want surgery. Good luck!

Web reference: http://www.sanfranciscocosmetic-surgery.com/pro_nose.html

Do Your Homework

+1
The span from Consultation to Surgery in a mature plastic surgery practice is commonly 1-2 months given the number of surgeries already scheduled. But if you've done your homework and really get to know the surgeon and ask all your questions with satisfactory answers, the surgical staff can often get you squeezed in without too much difficulty! I typically like to meet with my cosmetic patients twice before they book, and a third time about 1-2 weeks prior to the case to take care of any remaining issues. But even I tend to allow for streamlining of this process around the busy holiday season. Good luck and don't feel rushed!
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

After your initial Rhinoplasty consultation, you should take some time to be sure you're making the best decision for you.

+1

I read your concerns: I think it works to your benefit not to rush into your proposed nose job surgery.

Here's a few tips:

Before going on consultations, research your surgeons. In the year 2011, nearly all reputable rhinoplasty surgeons have web sites with photos, and credentials for your perusal. See several rhinoplasty specialists for several opinions: scrutinize their work, and ask to speak with their patients. Then you have to figure out which physician would be most likely to achieve your goals.

You could potentially get this done and have surgery within the next 4 weeks. Many busy nose job surgeons are booked till 2012, but cancellations happen. My final advice is to take this slowly, do your homework, and all the best to you.

Dr. Joseph

Web reference: http://nosejobphotos.com/

West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty surgery scheduling

+1

The process of scheduling surgery  always has to start with an evaluation by a Plastic Surgeon to determine your suitability for having surgery- do you have a realistic expectation, can the results you may want be obtained, does the surgeon feel that he or she can produce the desired results, etc.   The next step would be for you to schedule an appointment as soon as you can get one with a  qualified and reputable Plastic Surgeon.  Thereafter the scheduling process would follow along with the individual time table for you and the surgeon.

Good luck.  I would recommend that you start the process as soon as possible.

Frank Rieger M.D.  Tampa Plastic Surgeon

Web reference: http://w.w.w riegercosmeticsurgery.com

Timing for rhinoplasty after consult

+1

This is going to depend on how comfortable you are with the doctor and his/her december availability. I typically like to see patients at least twice to review goals and photos before I allow the patient to schedule. My christmas/school break times are typically booked well in advance by patients who have been seen the summer or fall before so availability is limited. If you are not comfortable with your consult or plan to see several doctors you are going to be very rushed and pressured which is not a good thing for any elective plastic surgery, especially one that is so apparent as rhinoplasty. Good luck!

Fort Lauderdale Facial Plastic Surgeon