How Long Do Fracture Lines Remain Noticeable After Rhinoplasty?

I had rhinoplasty about 3 weeks ago which involved narrowing the nasal bones as well as removing a small hump. I have a narrow dent like spot on just one side of my nose a little lower than my eye. I am assuming it is the fracture line that is present from where my bone was broken. I was wondering if it is normal for it to dent in slightly after almost a month. As a visual reference, to someone else it would most likely appear like a tiny indented scar.

Noticeable Fracture Line after Rhinoplasty

+1

It is possible to see a depression or fracture line for 3 weeks after a rhinoplasty. More commonly, an irregularity is not seen but can be felt. Do not be tempted to rub or palpate that spot because the bones are not yet stable. 

Dent/fracture line visibility by nose

+1

A dent may be tethering of the skin to the fracture site as osteotomies can be donw from outside.  Also the fracture lines usually are not visible but usually heal as the bone heals.

Visible osteotomy lines

+1
Hi there, It's very possible that what you describe might actually be a little indented scar as you suspect and not the actual osteotomy itself. Many rhinoplasty surgeons use a 2mm osteotome to perform the osteotomy via a tiny stab incision right around where you describe. This leaves a tiny usually invisible scar, but it can be lumpy or tethered for a time. Check with your surgeon whether you had this technique used, as if you did, then you'll find the spot will resolve faster if you massage it regularly and maybe place a tiny square of silicon gel over it at night. If this technique was used, its a perfectly good one and widely used. Good luck.
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

+1

Lines from Osteotomies (breaking the nasal bones) can be obvious for a month or so and then typically become invisible after that.  be sure your Rhinoplasty Surgeon understands and follows the proper aesthetics of facial (and nasal) beauty.

Web reference: http://www.drfpalmer.com

+1

Marie, I agree with the previous posts, however, if you see the fracture line this early in your recovery, it is unlikely that it will go away completely, as you have more swelling now than you will in 6-12 months.  The good news is, dermal fillers can camoflage this quite nicely, if need be.  Good luck!

Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Fracture lines can be felt but not seen after rhinoplasty

+1

It is possible to feel the fracture lines along the side of the nose after rhinoplasty, and that may persist, however the fracture cannot be seen. If you have a dent, let your surgeon take a look.

peterejohnsonmd.com

Web reference: http://www.peterejohnsonmd.com/rhinoplasty

Contour Abnormality Following Osteotomies in Rhinoplasty

+1

Marie, it is not uncommon to see a contour abnormality in this area following osteotomies (breaking of the nasal bone). Three weeks out is somewhat early in the healing process to make any solid judgements regarding the area. These type of contour issues can persist in some cases for months following cosmetic nose reshaping. I would be patient and confirm this finding with your rhinoplasty surgeon. Happy healing.

Web reference: http://www.drhilinski.com/

San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon