How Long Does It Take for the Main Swelling to Subside Following Septorhinoplasty?

I had a septorhinoplasty procedure two weeks ago today. I had my stitches out and steri strips off yesterday. It was quite a shock when I saw myself, I thought the swelling would have subsided quite a lot by now. I understand it takes up to a year or more for the nose to fully heal and to see the 'finished product' so to speak. For want of a better description I feel like Mr Potato Head with a false nose stuck on. It looks far larger than pre-surgery. My surgeon is not very approachable post surgery.

Swelling following rhinoplasty surgery

+1

2 weeks after your surgery your swelling has reached its peak. Your final result may not be evident for 18-24 months following surgery. In general, 70% of the swelling has resolved after the first 3 months and the remainder goes down over time. Degree of swelling can be influenced by the following:

1) Thickness of the patient's skin

2) Tip work 

3) Whether the procedure was open or closed

4) Whether the procedure was a revision 

It is important to be patient during the healing process, as it will take some time. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck with the remainder of your recovery. 

Swelling After Rhinoplasty

+1

The amount of swelling after rhinoplasty varies from person to person.  The degree of skin thickness contributes greatly to the swelling as well as the changes to the nose that took place during your procedure.  People with thicker skin have a greater amount of swelling after rhinoplasty versus those with thinner skin.  Also, if the nose was reduced in size (i.e. de-projected, hump removed) this also contributes to greater swelling as the skin has to adapt to the smaller underlying structure of the nose.

Anthony Bared, MD
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after rhinoplasty and the doctor-patient relationship

+1

At 2 weeks after surgery you are actually maximally swollen, and over the following weeks and months it should improve drastically.  For a primary rhinoplasty, approximately 60-80% of the swelling will be resolved in the first 3-6 months.  Full healing takes a year, and even a full two years in patients with thicker skin.  

Donald B. Yoo, MD

The swelling will diminish quite a lot over time

+1

At two weeks post-op, you are experienced near maximal swelling.  It is not uncommon for the nose to look wider and bigger than prior to surgery at this stage.  The swelling will steadily recede in the coming months.  The rate of reduction depends on your skin thickness and what was done during surgery.  Yoru surgeon should be able to guide you on this.

David W. Kim, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon