How Long Does It Take for Swelling to Completely Go Away from the Bridge?

Hi, I had an open primary rhinoplasty on the 5th of June(4 months and a half ago). I had osteotomies to have my wide nasal bones narrowed and a slight bump shaven down. After nasal exercises my nose looks narrower in the middle section, especially on the right side. After a couple of minutes, the right side pops back out in a sensible way. Is this a collection of fluid in dead space or is this swelling? Will this go away? How long does it take for swelling to completely go away from the bridge?

Rhinoplasty and Swelling

+1

In general, it takes about a year for all the swelling to go away. However, I have found most is gone in about 6 months. I do not believe you have dead space and swelling. You may have a middle vault collapse that can cause what you are describing. Time will be the answer so be patient. See your doctor and consider another opinion. Good Luck Dr Saunders

West Chester Plastic Surgeon

+1

So sorry, but in agreement with other responders, I'm unable to offer meaningful analysis of the interesting finding you present without personally examining and confirming it.   See your surgeon, because he/she knows exactly what was done, and will likely be fascinated by   the phenomenon you describe.  Nasal exercises are a part of your recovery program that I'm unaccustomed to prescribing.

Steve Laverson, MD

Rhinoplasty swelling takes 1year to go away.

+1

It takes one year for the last bit of swelling to go away. It will do this without you doing anything. 

Swelling?

+1

Without an exam it is hard to say what you are describing. In general,  swelling of the nose can last for a year or more.

Rhinoplasty Recovery

+1

Dear Leandro,

Please make a follow up appointment with your treating surgeon for a proper diagnosis and prognosis. From your above statements it is difficult to determine via internet and you need a direct examination from your surgeon. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Rhinoplasty Healing

+1

Leandro:

Without seeing pre and post photos the "likely" answers are: 1). Most nasal dorsal swelling is usually resolved by this time. It will improve further but subtly. 2). It sounds from your statement that the right nasal bone is still mobile and pops out. This may be a "rocker deformity" related to the osteotomies and can contribute to the dorsal swelling.

I am not sure what "nasal exercises" you would be doing.

I would suggest further follow up with your surgeon.

Richard W. Maloney, MD
Naples Facial Plastic Surgeon