How Long Will It Take for Swelling to Go and Eyelid to Close?

I had upper eyelid surgery 9 days ago. There is barely any bruising but there is a lot of swelling in the area between the eyelashes and the crease area. One eye, which also doesn't shut completely (there is a tiny area in the corner near the nose which remains slightly open)is a lot more swollen than the other eye, which shuts normally. The eye that shuts feels and appears nearly normal, the other eye looks and feels a lot more tight and swollen. Will this resolve or do I have a major problem?

Second question today

+2

This is your second question today about the same thing.  Please read my other answer and call your doctor and stop looking for the answer to early swelling issues on line.  Who knows you best, who did the surgery, and who wants the best result for you??  - your own doctor!

Wait three months

+1

Lubricating ointment will be your best friend during this time. Allow your body to heal for at least 3 months before your start worrying. Also see your surgeon if you are concerned. This is part of the postoperative care that you paid for.

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Eyelid swelling and difficulty closing eyes

+1

Swelling is typical after eyelid surgery but how long it lasts depends on the patient and what was done exactly. There can be some lagophthalmos (incomplete eye closure) after surgery, mainly due to the swelling, in some patients. This should resolve as the eyelid heals.

It's impossible for us to gauge what your eyelids will do without seeing you and knowing what surgery was done. You should ask your surgeon as that's who knows you best.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Swelling of eye

+1

Swelling of the eyes can persist for severla weeks, but your eyes should shut properly. The best thing to do is see your doctor to be evaluated.

You are early from surgery.

+1

Lagopthalmos is relatively common following eyelid surgery.  It contributes to dryness.  As the swelling resolves, lagophthalmos tends to resolve.  Will your lagophthalmos fully resolve?  It is not possible to answer this question accurately at this time.  Time will tell.  Follow your surgeon's directions and try to be patient.