How Long Does It Take for Skin to Shrink over my New Nose? Should I Be Considering a Revision? (photo)

I had septorhinoplasty in February 2013,I got an alas basement reduction,my tip lifted and my surgeon cut some fatty tissue out of my tip to build a narrow more refined tip using cartilage grafts from the upper part of my nose. I wasn't overly happy but after 4.5 months I really noticed that my nose was bigger,my tip more bulbous and less defined.I always thought that your nose will get smaller with time?I have oily thick and bad skin that is prone to acne.Will my skin shrink over my new nose?

Skin Shrinkage after Rhinoplasty

+2

Your nose will continue to change for at least a year after rhinoplasty. I suggest you consult with a Dermatologist re your skin because the thick, oily skin will compromise your result. Many times I will have patients with this type of skin have treatment before surgery.

How Long Does It Take For The Skin Shrink Over My New Nose?

+2

It will take months for all the swelling to go.  Stay out of the sun, as that will increase swelling, and follow your Plastic Surgeon's instructions for recovery.  If you need a revision, he will discuss that with you in time.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

How Long Does It Take for Skin to Shrink over my New Nose? Should I Be Considering a Revision?

+2

I would not be rushing to do anything for a another 6 months or so.  Your nose is definitely more refined, but there are some issues that will have to sorted out at about a year postop based upon swelling resolution. 

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Septorhinoplasty

+2

The tip is the last place for the swelling to dissipate. It takes a full year for all of the swelling to go down. I would wait a year and see where you are at that time in the recovery phase and then discuss your options with your surgeon. Best regards, Michael v. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Skin shrinkage post rhinoplasty

+1

It is true that it takes up to a year for the final result of rhinoplasty to become apparent and this is even more so the case in patients with thicker skin

From the photos I think this would apply to you and it may take that long for the skin on the tip of the nose to fully adjust post surgery.

I would suggest patients and time are the key, and stay in touch with the surgeon and communicate your concerns with a view to having a plan when the time comes

All the best

Jeremy Hunt

Jeremy Hunt, MBBS, FRACS
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

+1

Dear Ssrabits,

Thank you for your question and photos.  You will notice over many months that you will have periods of swelling of the tip.  This takes sometimes a year to fully subside.  I would wait at least a year from surgery before making plans for a revision.  Try to keep your head elevated when you sleep, in a recliner type position.  Also, the more your exercise vigorously, the more it will swell from time to time.

Best Wishes,

Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon