How Long Could It Take for my Nose to Reach Final Shape After Rhinoplasty?

I had closed Rhinoplasty 4 weeks ago to improve symmetry of my nose and define a droopy tip. Post-op my nose is more symmetrical but the tip doesn't appear to have any change. Doc said he expected the tip to "go up" more as he removed a bit of bone that was sticking down. However most swelling seems to have gone down now; is it possible the tip will become more refined in time or should I accept it as is? (After major swelling subsided after 1 week the tip shape has stayed the same since)

Final Nose Shape After Rhinoplasty

+2

The tip of the nose may still rotate upwards and at 4 weeks after surgery you are not seeing the final result. It may take up to six months to see the final tip shape. It is important to be patient with rhinoplasty particularly when the changhes done are more subtle than dramatic.

No change in tip four weeks post-rhinoplasty

+2

The final shape of the nose can take a long time to resolve, especially the tip swelling. So be patient, as four weeks is too short a time to come to any conclusions.

Good luck!

Ahmed Abdullah, MD
Dubai Plastic Surgeon

Tip after 4 Weeks - No Change?

+2

The tip at 4 weeks will rotate up after cephalic trim in a closed rhinoplasty (seen it a hundred times or more). 

Rhinoplasty Recovery

+2

Healing from rhinoplasty has several phases. The early phase is the swelling and bruising in the first week. During the next couple of weeks the swelling begins to go down and you can see the general shape and proportions of the nose. By three months most of the swelling has resolved above the tip. The tip will look much better but still lack definition. The definition of the tip can then take up to a year to be fully realized. I would not expect your tip to "rise" by itself two months after surgery.

Ronald Schuster, MD

A long way to go

+2

the final result of a rhinoplasty may not be evident for 1-2 years, depending on your skin thickness.  The majority of the edema goes away in the first 6 months, but a small amount of swelling persists for quite some time

Jeffrey Joseph, MD, FACS
Lafayette Facial Plastic Surgeon

How long does it take for the nose to reach its final shape after rhinoplasty?

+2

After 4 weeks, you will still be considerably swollen. The final result of rhinoplasty is not evident for 18-24 months following surgery. This is especially the case if tip work was performed. 70% of the swelling will resolve after the first 3 months, and the remainder goes down over time. I would recommend giving it some time and see how you continue to heal. In the meantime, I would recommend discussing any post-operative concerns with your surgeon, as they know the details of your procedure and exactly what was performed. I hope this helps, and best of luck with the remainder of your recovery. 

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Rhinoplasty Recovery

+2

Hello. Do not worry. While the changes after the first few weeks of recovery from rhinoplasty will be the most dramatic, it takes up to a year for the entirety of the swelling to subside. During this time, the tip will become more refined and suited to your desires, just be patient. Best of luck!

Jaime Perez, MD
Rhinoplasty Specialist
Plastic Surgery Center of Tampa

Jaime Perez, MD

Final rhinoplasty result

+2

You are still very early in the healing process.  It takes 3 months for the majority of visible swelling to go down and a full year for all of the swelling to go down for you to see the final result.  This can be longer if you have thick skin or if you have had nasal surgery before.  The tip is the last place for the swelling to leave.  So, hang in there! You will continue to see it change!

Angela Sturm, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Final shape after rhinoplasty

+2

It is way too early to know what the final shape of your nose is going to look like. As I am sure your surgeon told you, it can take up to a year to achieve the final results. You can add an extra year for every revision. The edema of the upper 2/3s of the nose subsides relatively quickly, and the final appearance is readily apparent, as the underlying bone and upper lateral cartilages are flat. The lower lateral cartilages, especially the tip, are extremely complex, 3-dimensial structures, and it can take a year for overlying soft tissue to shrink and comform to them.

John C. Ferguson, MD
Honolulu Facial Plastic Surgeon

Obtaining Final Shape After Rhinoplasty

+1

It usually takes, depending on your ethnicity, thickness of skin, male or female, these all contribute to a significantly longer post operative recovery. It usually takes at least one year to see the final result, especially the nasal tip area. In secondary surgery, it may take longer.

Rod J. Rohrich, MD