How Long Will It Take for my Natural Breasts to Regain Shape After Implant Removal? (photo)

4 weeks ago I underwent breast augmentation surgery. I was an a cup & gained 360cc low profile tear drop implants. A week post op I began to experience pain in the right breast & 10 days postop clear fluid began leaking from the scar. Although my PS stitched the scar & I began hard antibiotics, the scar split completely open. I had to have both implants removed in an emergency surgery. I want to know if what I'm left with will "fluff" as my current breasts are 100x worse than before the surgery!

Regaining Breast Shape after Removal of Breast Implants?

+2

I'm sorry to hear about the complications you have experienced after breast augmentation surgery. Unfortunately, it will take several months ( and even up to one year) for your breasts to “regain” their starting shape. Based on your “starting point” ( preop picture),  I think that it is very likely that you will end up with a pretty shape once the breast skin/tissues have “bounced back”.

If you do decide to have your breasts re augmented,  timing for this operation will be very important.  This timing is a judgment call best made by you and your surgeon based on the "aggressiveness" of the infection that you experienced as well as how you are doing clinically.

Best wishes;  hopefully you will be pleased with the long-term aesthetic  appearance of your breasts ( whether you decide to proceed with further surgery or not).

Breast shape after implant removal

+1
You have several things going for you.  You are young, your implants were not huge and they were low profile and they were in for only a month.  I suspect you will end up being very similar to your preoperative size and shape.  I'd give it a good six months or even a year.  It takes a while for the skin to shrink and tighten. 

Lisa L. Sowder, MD

4 Weeks after Breast Augmentation and Removal - Will Breast Shape Return?

+1

The breast shape should return to a similar state as that of the preoperative breast shape if the implants were only in for 4 weeks.  This may take several months.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Breast implant infection

+1

After breast implant infection and removal of the implants, you need to wait 6-12 months to see the final results. Scars take one year to settle and mature.

Breasts Will Normalize over Months

+1
Your breasts will return to reasonably normal in a few months as the swelling resolves.  After the swelling and infection clear, it is safe to re-augment the breasts. Infection is a risk of the operation, albeit a rare one. Best wishes on your recovery.

George Bitar, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Breast shape

+1

In this case scenario, your breasts most likely will shrink down to what they were like before surgery. It may take a few weeks.

How Long Will It Take for my Natural Breasts to Regain Shape After Implant Removal

+1

I am sorry to read about the problems you have had. 

Although the photos are not comparable due to differences in clothing, arm position, and the presence of dressings, they don't appear that much different to me.  They might be quite different, but it is hard to tell from these photos. 

Allow three months after the removal before assessing breast shape. Given how they appear now, I would suspect that they will will much like they did before surgery. Do follow up with your surgeon. Thanks for sharing your story and photos. All the best.