How long will it take for Juverderm Ultra to dissolve? (photo)

I had my first lip injection done in Sept '13. At first, I liked the plumpness, however after time, it seems that it's caused parenthesis around my mouth which were not there 2 months ago. It looks like I'm retaining a bit of water around the filler and that is what is causing the parenthesis. How long will it take for the filler to completely dissolve or should I go to my PS to have it removed? The lips look great, I don't like the bloating around the mouth that ages me. I looked better before!

HA filler longevity varies with product and placement

+1

There are many different fillers including Juvederm, Voluma, Restylane, and Perlane which are all made from hyaluronic acid (HA). HA is a naturally occuring substance in the body. These products are all created with different cross linking (connectivity) of the HA molecules. The differences between the crosslinking gives the different products their respective consistency and other properties.

In general terms, the more the treated area moves, the shorter the duration of the filler. Around the mouth area, HA fillers will last 6-12 months depending on the product and your metabolism. Certain products like Perlane and Voluma are not ideal for the lips. For the record, Restylane is currently the only FDA approved product for the lips. That being said Juvederm is an excellent lip enhancement product, but it is technically "off label."

If desired, all of these HA fillers can be "dissolved" by use of hyaluronidase (brand names like Vitrase and Hylenex). I would recommend you touch base with your injector about your concerns.

Yours in good health, MKB

Montgomery Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dr. Kimberly Henry

+1

Hello, and thank you for your question! It can take six months for Juvederm to dissolve/absorb. From your pictures, it appears that you have a lean face; to add volume to your face, a fat transfer would be your best option. If you want to, you can go back to your plastic surgeon and ask them to inject something into your "parenthesis" to help dissolve the filler faster as a quick fix. Best of luck!

Kimberly A. Henry, MD
Greenbrae Plastic Surgeon

How long will it take for Juverderm Ultra to dissolve?

+1

In most cases around 6 months for this HA to dissolve. But reviewing your posted photos you look better with the filler..

It will take some additional time, probably months

+1

If you like your overall result you could try aggressive massage in the area to get it settle down, but at 2 months this isn't likely to work very well. A tiny amount of hyalruonidase an enzyme that dissolves filler may act to reduce fullness, but puts you at risk for dissolving more then you like. The nice thing about hyaluronic acid fillers is that they almost always go away and you can instantaneously dissolve them if you have a problem.

Samson Lee, MD