How Long Does It Take for Juvederm to Settle in? Mine Looks Awful 5 Days Post Injection!.

I had the injections friday and bruised slightly at injectin sites. i think too much product has been injected as the corner of one eye is really puffy - the other eye looks raised pillow like so now in certain lights i look even worse than i did with the hollow also left eye has a big hole in the middle where no filler was put- doc tells me to wait a week for it to "settle". i researched him well and am dissptd. how long do i wait b4 i reverse it as it looks awful now? thanks

Wait another week!

+3

Do wait for a week more, since it does take time for the filler to settle in.  If you are a first timer, it is normal that you panic a little. But unless you have had a real bad job, and you did mention that you researched your doctor well, there is no reason to!  I usually call back my patients for a review after 2 weeks, since that is the ideal time to judge the outcome.You will be able to judge the whole procedure better after 7 to 14 days, and then be able to take a call on how this worked for you. Meanwhile, of course, do call/visit your doctor if that will help reassure you.

As regards reversing the effect,if you really are not satisfied with the placement of the filler, you can choose to have hyaluronidase injections, and the filler effect will be gone in less than a week.

But give yourself and the filler sometime, it may turn out fine after all!

Good luck.

India Dermatologist

Puffy eyes

+2

Hyaluronic acid fillers (Restylane, Juvederm, etc) can cause swelling for several days to weeks after initial injection.  In the lower lids this swelling can potentially last a long time.  This type of filler material absorbs water and if injected diffusely in the lower lid tissues, it will look abnormal.  If it becomes a prolonged problem, the filler can be dissolved with an injection of an enzyme that will make it go away in a few hours with no side affects.  Wait at least 2-4 weeks before making any decisions. 

Lee Robinson, MD - RETIRED
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Juvederm should be assessed 7-14 days after injection

+2

It can take up to 2 weeks for all bruising and swelling to go away, so it's best to reassess after that point. The eye area has extremely thin skin and so there tends to be more swelling underneath there. I'd wait a week if you can to really assess how everything looks and then decide if you need to have anything adjusted, either with hyaluronidase which will take out some of the Juvederm, or by adding more into areas that need it. I will say this though: under and around the eyes, Juvederm is not my filler of choice - Restylane is. When you describe that it looks worse in "certain lights" that leads me to believe you have some of the Tyndall effect going on where the coloring of the actual filler product, which is a a bluish white translucent color, is showing through. Restylane doesn't normally have this same effect so I prefer it under the eyes.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

Allow up to two weeks for Juvederm to "settle"

+1

It can take up to two weeks - and in rare cases, longer - for all swelling to subside. Ride it out for now. Set up a follow up visit at the 2-3 week point, so if issues persist, you'll already have an appointment.

Laxmeesh Mike Nayak, MD
Saint Louis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Juvederm under the eyes and now they look puffy

+1

I agree with the other doctors who replied.  Five days is too early to assess your results after Juvederm and this is particularly true when injected below the eyes.  Give it at least two weeks to settle in.  The consult with your doctor if you are still concerned.

Lawrence Kass, MD
Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon

Early results and expectations after juvederm injections

+1

You should give it at least 3 weeks before you decide to do anything with your Juvederm injections.  After that time you may want to check with your physician to see if he is happy with the result or if he believes that anything can be done to improve the result. 

Juvederm is best followed over time

+1

I see my Juvederm patients back for follow up a month later-then any swelling or bruising is resolved and it has settled in, and if we need to put more in, i think its a good time to judge it.  However, I will see my patients sooner if they have any issues, and if you are having issues, I think you should call your doctor and go in for an evaluation.  It does take time to settle, at least 2-3 weeks, so don't get too excited about it yet.  Follow up with your doctor. 

Rebecca Baxt, MD
Paramus Dermatologist

Juvederm settling in

+1

This is the most common problem I see with Juvederm.  Patients don't know what to expect in the days following injection and quickly get disappointed or frustrated with the outcome.  You have to give it at least two weeks. If after that time it isn't improving on a day to day basis, return to your surgeon for a repeat assessment (if he/she hasn't already scheduled this with you).

Matheson A. Harris, MD
Salt Lake City Oculoplastic Surgeon

How Long Does It Take for Juvederm to Settle in? Mine Looks Awful 5 Days Post Injection

+1

if you are still seeing these changes after 7-10 days I would see an experienced dermatologist and have them inject some hyaluronidase to reverse.

Peter Malouf, DO
Dallas Dermatologist

Juvederm settling in

+1

I think that you should wait two weeks before making a decision. If you have bruising it needs time to resolve.

Jo Herzog, MD
Birmingham Dermatologist