How Long Does It Take for Dissolvable Stitches to Dissolve? (Open Rhinoplasty)

i had an open rhinoplasty 11 days ago and have dissolvable stitches placed on my columella. My surgeon did not remove them as he said they will fall themselves. How long will it take for the stitches on my columella to dissolve?

Most dissolvable stitches placed in the skin are gone in 10 days.

+1

After rhinoplasty permanent sutures in the columella are removed it about five days. Dissolvable stitches usually fallout at about the same time with a gentle cleansing.

How Long Does It Take for Dissolvable Stitches to Dissolve?

+1

The range for the sutures to dissolve with a Rhinoplasty are typically 2-4 weeks with 3 the average.  It's best to follow your post op instruction after the Rhinoplasty to assure these dissolve in a timely manner.

Stitches

+1

It depends on the suture your surgeon used.  From a few days to several months.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD

+1

Dear Lilly,

Thank you for your question.  That depends on what kind of stitch, and where it is, and what you are doing to it.  If that was a 'fast absorbing gut' suture on the external skin of the columella, and it is constantly moist with antibiotic ointment (i.e. never letting it dry out) should be about a week.  If it is a 'chromic gut' suture or if it is dry, will take a lot longer, maybe 2 weeks or more.  It is important to have the sutures dissolve or be taken out in the face relatively early as the longer the suture remains, the more likely you are to get a suture mark.  If they are still in, either have them removed or keep them very moist with antibiotic ointment to have them dissolve sooner.

Best Wishes, 

Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon