How Long Does It Take for Cartilage to Attain Full Strength After a Rhinoplasty?

I had revision rhinoplasty ten and a half months ago. The nasal bones were broken, and the tip was redefined using an ear cartilage graft. I was out dancing the other day and my friend accidentally knocked my nose. It didn't hurt at the time, or the next day - but I was a bit drunk at the time so wasn't as sensitive to pain as I usually am. I know that the bones heal pretty quickly (as in two or three months after surgery), but how long does a cartilage graft to become strong and stable?

Revision Rhinoplasty

+1

The nose at this point will be about 95% healed. It's important to remember that trauma that would cause injury to a normal nose will also injure an operated nose. Please continue to be patient with your results, as they will continue to improve.

Cartilage Strength After Rhinoplasty

+1

In general, if you have had a rhinoplasty and have a subsequent injury that may or may not have fractured your cartilage graft, one would need to see your plastic surgeon. If any damage has occurred, depending on the significance, this may or may not require operative intervention.

Rod J. Rohrich, MD

Cartilage Healing after Rhinoplasty

+1

Ten months after surgery your cartilages have healed, but you could have injured the nose if this trauma had occurred before your surgery. As long as there has been no change in the appearance or function of your nose (breathing) you have nothing to worry about.

Cartilage graft

+1

At ten months your cartilage grafts should be pretty solid and should not have a significant problem if lightly struck.

Nasal Trauma after Rhinoplasty

+1

This is a very common question, and the answer is if it looks the same as before then you are OK.  If the nose looks different, then you need to be seen by your plastic surgeon.

Cartilage strength 10 months after surgery.

+1

Thanks for the question. Ten months after nose job your cartilage as strong a normal one. I don't think there is any need to worry unless the nose is deformed in which case it need to be fixed. Wish you all the luck.

Ashok Govila, FRCS, MCh, MS
Dubai Plastic Surgeon