How Long Do I Need to Take off for a Breast Reduction As a Nurse?

I am thinking about getting a reduction from my 34DDD on a 5ft tall average frame and yes I do have so weight to loose but running is horribly painful and anything aerobic hurts. I just would appreciate an estimate on time off from work before I presue this more. I work night shift on a cardiac floor, most of the work would be boosting people in bed, helping people stand and turning people in bed. Thanks

Breast

+1

I would suggest a month if possible. It is really important to take it easy on the upper body while you are healing and as a nurse you have to do a lot of heavy lifting

Two weeks to be safe

+1

Thank you for the question.  If all goes well a two-week healing period should be sufficient.  It will be important for you to wear a supportive garment during your recovery period.  Each patient and each plastic surgeon have a different way of doing things therefore discussion with your plastic surgeon about your recovery time. will be important.  

Remus Repta, MD

Breasts Reduction and Return to Work as a Nurse?

+1

Congratulations on your decision to proceed with breast reduction surgery; this operation tends to be one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform.

As a nurse you understand, better than most, that every patient responds differently to surgery. Your plastic surgeon will therefore be in the best position to advise you about return to specific activities after the breast reduction procedure. Much of his/her recommendations will depend on exactly how you do (and whether or not you experience any complications) after the procedure.

Generally speaking, based on the description of your activities I would suggest 3 to 4 weeks off of work, if possible. If you are able to return to “modified duty” ( with no lifting/boosting necessary)  you may be able to return to work sooner.