How Long Does It Take for Breast Implants to Even Out?

I got a breast augmentation 3 months ago on the 26 one of them still looks alot higher than the other. it is very noticible when i wear low cut shirts. is this normal or should they be even by now? the other one looks round and sometimes im not sure if that one is the abnormal one.

How long does it take for implants to settle?

Hello Elena. It takes at least 3 months for your implants to settle into their final position.  Sometimes it can take a full 6 to 12 months. The larger the implant, the longer it usually takes it to settle.  And it's not uncommon for them to settle unevenly so that one takes longer than the other.

Keep your follow up appointments with your plastic surgeon and discuss your concerns with him/her. I hope that helps and wish you all the best!

Fresno Plastic Surgeon

1903 East Fir Avenue
Fresno, CA 93720

Uneven Breast Implants usually even out by 3 months

With massage and Breast Implant Displacement Exercises most Breast Implants have evened out by 3 months. See your doctor for his.her opinion. It is certainly reasonable to wait 6 months before considering a revision to improve symmetry.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

195 Commonwealth Avenue
Boston, MA 02116

How Long Does It Take for Breast Implants to Even Out?Answr:

Most of the time they have settled where they need to be by three months and in most cases by 6 weeks...After that, I have seen some cases of continued improvement, but not very often....So I would suggest waiting until the 6th month just to be sure.

John J. Corey, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

10210 North 92nd Street
Scottsdale, AZ 85258

Breast Asymmetry 3 Months after Breast Augmentation?

It may take longer than 3 months for the breast implants to completely “settle”;  I have seen breast implants change in position during the first 6 to 12 months after surgery. I would suggest that you wait that period of time before you evaluating the end results of surgery.

If at that point, significant breast asymmetry still exists,  revisionary breast surgery may be necessary;  exactly what operation will  be necessary would depend on exactly what the situation is at that time.

In the meantime, continue to follow-up with your plastic surgeon.  He/she will be able to evaluate your situation and make sure there are no complications such as encapsulation preventing the descent of one of your breast implants.

8851 Center Drive
San Diego, CA 91942

Breast positions

At three months our from surgery the breast should be settling into their pockets.  Remember each breast may be a bit different and no two are exactly the same, bit if they are very different, it is worth being seen by yoru surgeon.

1049 Fifth Ave
New York, NY 10028

Time for breast implants to settle

Implants may take as long as 3 months to settle out.  At that time, most of your swelling is also gone so, people can generally appreciate their long term shape.  Keep in mind that any native asymmetry to the breasts will probably persist unless something was done to correct it (ie. if one breast fold was naturally higher or one breast was more developed than the other with a wider base).  So, it can be common for there to be some differences between the two breasts.  But, these expected differences should be predicted and communicated to the patient before surgery.  It is also possible that your higher side may not have settled out as expected.  And now, you probably have a nearly mature scar capsule surrounding the implant and the position is not likely to change.  Fortunately, this can be adjusted surgically.  The capsule can be modified and the implant position lowered to match the other.  Some surgeons may not want to perform any adjustment for another few months.  Please see your surgeon for their best recommendation for how to proceed. 

Jennifer Lauren Crawford, MD

630 West 34th St.
Austin, TX 78705