How long it take for blue and red discoloration on sides of face after facelift to go away?

I am 9 weeks post op facelift. I had hematomas on that side of the face that were not drained until Days 8, 9 and 10. Much of flap is discolored bluish and red. How long can this take to go away? Will it go away eventually? Is there any specific laser to help with this? Will the blue color turn to red before, if it goes away? Avoiding all sun. Please, any help greatly appreciated.

Hematoma will delay healing

+2
Hematomas are not that uncommon, and by definition, when they occur, it can take much longer for healing and bruising (which becomes discoloration) to resolve.  You are about 2.5 months after surgery, well within what I would consider a normal period of healing, so you should have confidence that it will continue to improve.

Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bruising and Swelling after Facelift

+1
Bruising and discoloration can last for several weeks after face lift. Contact your surgeon to express your concerns and see if you are on track. Good Luck!

Roy A. David, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift hematomas should be drained as soon as possible.

+1
The longer hematoma remains none drains the longer the convalescence consequences. Total resolution of the discoloration may take several more weeks. One would also be concerned about the viability of the skin based on your description.

Discoloration of skin after face lift

+1

I am sorry about your complication. The blood from the hematoma would have stained all the facial tissues. It will take a long time to resolve. I would not do lasers now. I would wait 6 months. If the discoloration is brown, hydroquinone and other skin lightening treatments will help. You should see slow, steady improvement - as long as that continues, things should work out. Best wishes.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Bruising After Facelift Complicated by Hematoma

+1
A Dr. Frodel pointed out, patients who are unfortunate enough to develop hematomas after Facelift generally heal more slowly.  Some patients take medications and/or have subtle coagulation issues that a) predispose them to hematomas, and b) cause prolonged bruising.  Avoid all NSAIDS, vitamin E, green tea, and any exotic vitamins until after the bruising has disappeared.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon