How Long Does Firmness of the Mons Pubis Last After Liposuction of That Area?

2 weeks postop. Contour is very much improved.. However, top of mons is very firm.. When will it soften up?

Pubic Swelling after Lipo

+2

In most cases swelling will resolve in two to three months. Due to the lymph vessels in the area, swelling takes a little longer to go away. Massage is certainly helpful and continue wearing a compressive garment.

Tissue Firmness after Liposuction

+1

Hi Kasey16. Firmess, bruising and swelling are common after liposuction. You can have some swelling and hardening for even up to 6 months. The mons pubis is especially well known for lasting firmness. It should eventually go away. Sometimes post-liposuction ultrasound or massage can be of benefit. If you have long lasting firmness (after 6 months), or you are having significant pain, I would definitely contact your surgeon for an evaluation.

Jennifer Reichel, MD
Seattle Dermatologic Surgeon

Swelling After Liposuction

+1

It is normal to have swelling after liposuction.  Due to gravity, much of this swelling goes to the mons pubis.  You are only two weeks post op, so it is not surprising that you still have swelling.  You may want to look in to lymphatic massage to help the swelling resolve more quickly.

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

Firmness of mons after liposuction will take 6-12 months to resolve.

+1

The mons is an area rich with lymphatics, and liposuction of this area disrupts many of these vessels, as well as blood vessels. Firmness is seen in any area of the body where liposuction is performed, but the mons is particularly susceptible to this, and can also take slightly longer to completely resolve than other areas of the body.

At 3-4 weeks post-op I have my patients see our massage therapist who performs infrared  and external ultrasound massage treatments to the operated area(s) to reduce edema and subcutaneous scar fibrosis that cause firmness. Judy has been with us for 24 years, so I truly believe in the effectiveness and value in her care of our patients!

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Hang in there- the swelling will subside

+1

Although contour is immediately improved with liposuction, remember that your results will continue to improve with time.  I tell my patients that they won't see their final result until about 6 months post-op as the swelling will continue to resolve.  It's also important to maintain a healthy lifestyle to maximize your results.  If the swelling is persistent at 4-6 weeks, you can have a few sessions of lymphatic massage and this may help increase drainage from the affected area.  Make sure you are compliant with your post-operative instructions.  Hang in there! The swelling will subside.

Elizabeth Kim, MD

Time frame for resolution of firmness of the mons pubis following liposuction

+1

The firmness of the mons pubis as a result of liposuction may be maximized even up to 8 weeks which is then followed by a gradual softening as part of the normal healing process. Usually by 6 months a majority of the swelling will have subsided but it can take up to a year to see the "final" outcome.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Mons pubis liposuction and swelling

+1

Dear Kasey16,

Edema or swelling of the mons pubis are can last a significant amount of time and even cause the skin over the area to be taught and very thick in appearance.  Depending on the amount of lipoaspirate it can last months.  It will get better.

Ernesto Hayn, MD

Firmness of the mons pubis after liposuction

+1

It's very normal for there to be swelling of the mons pubis, the area above the pubic bone at the base of the abdomen. Fluid collects there by gravity since it's the lowest part of the abdomen.

It may take weeks for the swelling and firmness to resolve, and occasionally it may take months.

Massaging the area can help swelling resolve faster.

Don't worry and enjoy your new contour!

Kimberly Finder, MD
San Antonio Dermatologic Surgeon