How Long Will I Feel Sore After Ulthera?

I had Ultherapy on December 3rd. It has been almost a month and my jawline is still sore at times and I have a tingly sensation in my cheeks when I wash my face or put on make up. It feels like the nerves are sensitive. Is this normal? If so how long should I expect it to last? A little concerned at this point.

What to expect after Ulthera treatment.

+2

I’m sorry to hear you’re still uncomfortable following your Ultherapy treatment.  Depending on the of amount energy that is used, it is not uncommon to have some mild sensitivity one month following treatment.  I had Ultherapy myself on December 1, and still have some mild sensitivity along my jawline and under my chin, which is due to the normal healing process.  I wouldn’t be concerned at this time, and you can expect this to continue to resolve over the next several weeks.

Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

How Long Does Ulthera Soreness Last After Treatment?

+1

Hi Maggie,

After we treat patients with Ulthera we let them know that they should expect to feel "muscle type" soreness for usually about 1 to 2 weeks, but sometime they may feel the "sensations" that you describe for up to one month.  We can't tell you exactly when it will go away, but we can tell you that it always does (at least in my practice).  Enjoy your rejuvenation with Ulthera.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Soreness After Ulthera

+1

Ultherapy is an entirely non-invasive procedure and as such, there is no downtime. You are able to return to your normal activities right away, and there are no special measures you need to take. Everyone heals differently, however, and it is not abnormal to still feel sore. I would suggest consulting with the doctor who performed the treatment and address your concerns with them to ensure there are no issues. 

Daniel Shapiro, MD

Pain after Ulthera

+1

As the others have mentioned, its very common to have sensitivity after a treatment.  This discomfort will go away and hopefully should be improving for you as time passes.  In my experience, no one has had permanent pains following Ulthera. 

Curtis Wong, MD

Ultherapy discomfort after procedure - minimal

+1

Ultherapy as a treatment has a very low level of discomfort after the procedure.  There may be, however, areas that remain hypersensitive due to transient injury to the underlying sensory nerves.  You might notice this when you wash your face.  On the forehead, for example, you might find that this hypersensitivity extends beyond the treated area to the scalp.  This is because sensory nerves that are responsible for the scalp sensation travel across a treated area - the forehead.  This sensitivity is almost always transient if it happens, and usually well tolerated.  There is also a risk of injury of you overtreat an area as Ultherapy uses ultrasound to heat the underlying tissues.  Too much energy can cause more than intended injury.  Make sure your provider is well trained.

Young R. Cho, MD, PhD

Tenderness after Ulthera

+1

There is an inflammatory wound healing response that develops in the deep dermis as a result of the focused ultrasound energy that the utlhera delivers. This incites more collagen production and tightening. As inflammation is an active process it is not unusual to feel tenderness or tingling.  Some people will feel this less than others. As long as the symptoms are not preventing  you from doing your normal routines, then this merits a routine evaluation by your doctor but it will probably pass over another several weeks to even a few months. Your doctor may recommend a treatment to help your symptoms feel better.

Ronald Shelton, MD