How Long Does It Take to Feel "Normal" After a Mini-facelift?

I had a mini-lift six days ago (NOT a "Lifestyle Lift" -- my doctor is a double board certified in Plastic & General Surgery and has been practicing for 22 years.) The results are terrific BUT my ears are very painful and still swollen.(They look OK though) There is also quite a lot of pain around where the staples are inserted in my scalp. My doctor gave me every assurance that this is all normal but I'd like a second opinion. Thanks so much.

1 week, 2 weeks, 4 weeks to feel "normal" after a Mini Lift

+1
Healing and recovery from a Mini Lift is a progressive process and while every patient is different there are some general guidelines that the majority of patients will follow. For dicussion purposes I consider a Mini Lift to be a surgical procedure where short incisions are used, excess skin is removed and the SMAS lyaer is elevated by using a combination of dissection deep to the SMAS and superficial to it. In essence, a trditional facelift but with smaller incisions. 1 week - majority of swelling will be gone. still may have some areas of numbness and bruising. most pain should be gone but can have occasional discomfort. 2 weeks - by the ends of 2 weeks about 90% of the initial swelling, pain and bruising will be gone. Some mild tightness and discomfort may be noted. 4 weeks - by this time all of the noticeable healing should be done and a patient should feel "normal". The subtle healing under the skin will continue for the next 6 months to a year with very occasional tightness being noted. Everyone is different and it is key to work closely with your surgeon both before and after surgery to ensure a safe and efficient recovery process. Follow all instructions as well since they really are very important to the healing process. All the best, Dr. J

+1

There can be discomfort after a facelift, which usually resolves over the first couple of weeks.  However, techniques are surgeon dependent, and the surgeon is the best source of information in this situation.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

How long does it take to feel normal after mini-facelift.

+1

Hi.  Each patient is an individual and therefore, there are no rules for how long it takes to feel normal.  I tell patients that they will have numbness in the areas of the cheek where the skin was elevated for 4-6 months.  The swelling should be resolved in the first 3-4 weeks.  Most patients are back to work in the first week to 10 days.  I hope that this is helpful.

Jonathan Pontell, MD, FACS
Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon

Recovery after Mini-facelift

+1

It is not unusual to still have some pain one week after a Mini-Facelift.  This discomfort should resolve over the next week or two.  It may take up to six weks for the swelling to totally resolve.  The scars from the incisions will probably be most noticable at 3 to 6 weeks following the surgery and will take about 6 to 12 months to fade.  Best wishes.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Mini LIft recovery

+1

I would say that you need to give a good full 2 weeks before you start to feel good. Despite the "mini" moniker, quite a lot of dissection is done and therefore recovery can be tough. It's definitely not the "lunchtime lift" that some have mentioned.

Michael M. Kim, MD
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon