How Long Do Fat Injections Last For Treating Ice-Pick Scars?

i have ice pick acne scars on both sides of my cheeks

Ice pick scars

+2

I have not found that Ice-pick scars are improved by filler. These are very narrow but deep scars and fillers typically spread beyond the area and magnify the appearance of the scar by enlarging the skin around the depression. Ice pick scars are readily treated by surgical removal and skin grafting called punch grafts. These tiny pieces of skin are harvested from behind the ear and those wounds closed with sutures. The grafts are placed into new holes that result from the surgical removal of the ice-pick scars. Most grafts "take" but the ones that don't live can undergo a second treatment.  These grafts are often resurfaced after healing has taken place. Some people have gotten improvement without punch grafts for ice-pick scars by using the CROSS technique with strong tricholoracetic acid applied very carefully to the base of the scar which intentionally wounds the base and allows the skin to heal with new collagen and builds of the scar but the acid is then applied for several sessions. There is a risk of scarring with both procedures so discuss at length with your doctor. Seek consultation with an experienced board-certified dermatologic or plastic surgeon who has done many of these procedures.

Subcision and radiofrequency can improve acne scars

+1

I agree with Dr. Shelton.  Fillers and fat transfers can make ice pick acne scars worse.  In addition to the other treatment suggestions, I have been effective with mini-subcision and radiofrequency resurfacing techniques for these conditions.  None of the results will be expected to be "perfect" skin, but improvement is usually appreciated.

Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.