How Long Does It Take for Facelift Scars to Mostly Disappear?

Facelift Scars

+2
The facelift performed by the surgeon with the most expertise, training, experience and patience will leave you with the best results. 
 The facelift procedure involves incisions that skirt the contour of the ears, using the anatomy of the ear to help conceal them. For a full facelift, the incision starts in the sideburn area, follows the contours of the junction of the ear with the face, curves behind the earlobe into the recess between the posterior ear and the neck/scalp, and then extends into the hairline posteriorly at the top of the ear. When I make these incisions, I design them so that, once fully healed, they may be difficult for even a hairdresser to detect. That goal can often be achieved, and it requires meticulous attention to every centimeter of the closure.
Following surgery, many surgeons, myself included will offer complimentary V-Beam laser treatments to help speed healing and minimize scarring.  Most plastic surgeons also make  topical silicone gel treatments available to help minimize scarring. Close monitoring following surgery is imperative. If scars start start to thicken, they can be treated with steroid injection. But early treatment is key.  You don't want to wait until a scar is a problem before you begin receiving treatment  

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Facelift Incision

+1

Normally it takes about 6-8 weeks for scars to be inconspicuous if they are designed well pre-operatively.

Rod J. Rohrich, MD

Healing time of facelift scars

+1

The healing process is quite variable depending upon the patient’s skin type present. Darker and oilier skin tends to take longer to heal and stays red for a longer period of time. Fitzpatrick I and II type skin tends to heal much quicker, usually within a two to three month period of time following a facelift.  

Facelift Surgery

+1

It is an important goal in my practice to have your facial scars from facelift surgery well hidden in your hairline. Most clients wear their normal hairstyle and return to our office in 6 days ready to get stitches removed.  I have you start a cream named ScarGuard to avoid having any healing issues.  Most clients return to work within a week. The only restriction you will have is no heavy lifting and aerobic exercise for a least 4-6 weeks.  Facelift surgery is a very common procedure in my practice and I do not have clients who are unhappy with the incisions. I believe the placement of the incision to be one of most important signs of quality of your surgeon.

John Ward, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Facelift Scars

+1

Redness of the scars is present in varying degrees for about 3 months and wound appearance continues to improve for 6-12 months. Careful placement of incisions in natural creases in front of the ears, in the skin on the back of the ears, and in the hairline around the ears will camouflage the scars. Make-up can be used about one week post-op. Although scars are always present, ultimately they will barely be visible with the use of careful, meticulous technique.

Disappearance of Facelift scars

+1

Scars on the face fade much quicker than scars elsewhere. Even so, they will remain somewhat red for up to 2-3 months. You can, however, camouflage this redness rather easily beginning the day after the sutures are removed. This is usually about post-op day 3-5 and almost never later than day 8. We usually provide camouflage make-up to hide the redness of the scars and the bruising so you can return to normal activities within 3-8 days.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Face Lift Scar Healing

+1

Face lift incisions are placed in strategic locations to hide & camouflage the final results, to avoid visible scarring. All facial incisions for plastic surgery slowly improve and mature with time. Initially, face lift incisions will appear red and swollen. The incisions gradually become less noticeable with good postoperative care, such as avoiding the sun & smoking. Most face lift healing occurs within the first couple months, but the incisions continue to improve up to a year. The facial incisions will never completely disappear, but should be less visible. Facial scarring may occur for many reasons. Speak to a face lift plastic surgeon for your facelift surgery. Best of luck.

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift scars- time to fading

+1

Scars generally are considered mature at 6 months, but in actuality continue to mature for another 1 1/2 years, becoming less visible over time.

Anchored facelift scars will appear to fade more quickly than scars that are not buried around the earlobe and inside the tragus. 

When reviewing before and after pictures, the astute patient will want to study ears very carefully for signs of pulling down of earlobes and pulling forward of the tragus, as well as hairline alterations.  Hair worn down or large earrings covering the after results make it difficult for patients to assess a surgeon's work.

For these reasons, the skill of the facelift surgeon is immediately obvious and therefore highly prized.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Healing Scars from a Facelift

+1

Hi,

The initial redness takes about 3 months to resolve. As time goes on, the incisions will continue to mature. At 1 year the preauricular ( in front of the ear) incisions will look quite good. The postauricular ( behind the ear) may take a little longer. You should be able to use make up for camouflage after 1 week. Rarely, an incision may need some revision or kenelog (steroid) injections.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS

It depends on skin color, location of incisions, etc.

+1

The single most important issue is your skin color.  Patients who have fair skin and fair eyes tend to have the incisions fade very quickly.  At the other extreme are patients with dark skin and dark eyes who take the longest.

The placement of the incisions is also very important.  Incisions positioned with hair on both sides or on the back side of the ear fade more quickly than those on the cheek.

A major other factor is where the tension is applied to create the lift.  This is especially where the experience of the surgeon will make a huge difference in how quickly the incisions fade.

Nathan Mayl, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon