Will Eyelid Surgery Make Eyes Appear Bigger?

Hi i have a long face with really small eyes that practically disappear when taking pictures. I was wondering if eyelid surgery would make my eyes bigger? Also how do i go about finding the right doctor??

+1

Eyelid surgery can be tailored to your specific eyelid problems and needs.  The droopiness can be due to several causes so it is best to see an eyelid specialist (Oculoplastic surgeon) to find out what are the reasons your eyelids are drooping and what is the best surgery available to get you your desired results.

Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Ptosis vs Pseudoptosis

+1

You concerns are common for patients seeking eyelid surgery.  Surgery can address two major anatomic structures which can contribute to an appearance of a "small eye".  Pseudoptosis, is typically due to redundant upper eyelid skin and in some individuals the redundancy can so much that is interferes with their vision.  Treatment for this can include a traditional upper eyelid blepharoplasty, in which this redundant skin is appropriately removed.  Ptosis, occurs when muscles responsible for opening the eyelid do not work properly.  As a result, the upper eyelid may not open high enough, and could interfere with an individual's vision.  This can be caused from multiple medical issues.  Surgery can be performed to address this problem.  Either case, it is best for you to see an ophthalmologist or plastic surgery to determine what is best for you.   

Edward S. Kwak, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Eyelid surgery and Bigger Eyes?

+1

Eyelid surgery can encompass more than one surgery. Blepharoplasty, a cosmetic procedure for the eyes, will not by itself result in bigger eyes. If you had a blepharoplasty of the upper eyelid, then you should see more upper eyelid as the loose hanging skin is removed.

The eyes would be open wider if you had an eyelid surgery for ptosis. Ptosis is a condition where the eyelid sits to low over the pupil. Find a reputable doctor in you area and have a consult. They should be able to answer any questions you may have. Good Luck.

Benjamin Dunkley, DO
Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Small eyes

+1

I agree with my colleagues.  Certainly, eyelid surgery might be very helpful.  you should see an oculofacial plastic surgeon.

Lawrence Kass, MD
Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon

Small eyes

+1

A photo would be useful.  The problem is likely upper lid ptosis/dermatochalasis and/or brow ptosis.  There could be other causes as well.  Consult an oculoplastic surgeon.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Photos would be very helpful here.

+1

Dear Mn13

It could be that you have ptosis.  It is also possible that you have heavy upper eyelid fold or even that you squeeze your eyelids close whenever someone is about to snap your photos.  I would recommend that you consider posting here with photos.

Will eyelid surgery make the eyes bigger?

+1

If you have ptosis then surgical correction will make the eyes appear bigger. Consider posting a photo of your face so we have more information to go by. The experts in this sort of surgery are ophthalmic plastic surgeons.

Peter T. Truong, MD
Fresno Oculoplastic Surgeon