How Long Are Your Eyes Red After Milia Extraction?

I am going for milia extraction in a few days on a Friday. How long will my eyes be red after this? Many small ones on upper eyelids and below eyes. I have to go on a business trip on Monday and don't want to look like a freak. (been there, done that) Only difference is that I started taking Omega 3 capsules. I'm going to stop! Thanks for any advice on the redness!

Redness after milia extraction

+1

This will vary - swelling and bruising can, in some people, peak 2 to 3 days after a procedure.  Also, discontinuing a blood thinner can take several days to take effect.  Milia extraction usually does not lead to a great deal of swelling and bruising.  Definitely ice, ice, ice in the first 48 hours after the procedure.  You may want to keep some good cover up make up on hand just in case but you should be fine!

Orlando Oculoplastic Surgeon

White eyes, Red eyelids...

+1

Dear SIH, Milia extraction is considered a minor procedure and therefore it will usually cause less redness, swelling and bruising than more involved surgeries. Keep in mind, however, that it is surgery and your eyelids will go through these changes.. The worst period will be in the first 3 days but the swelling and redness may last up to 2 weeks or more in some patients. In order to diminish swelling, lost of ice is the secret. Keeping your head elevated at night is also helpful (2 or 3 pillows). If you have few milia, my guess is that you'll be fine for your trip, however, if you want to be absolutely sure, you may want to plan the surgery when you have less important obligations... Your eyelids may get red but your eyes should be fine. Good luck!

Patrick Boulos, MD
Montreal Oculoplastic Surgeon