How long do under eye bags and pools from Rhinoplasty last? (photo)

I want to get closed rhinoplasty ONLY to remove a hump in my nose. Nothing else. I don't want an osteotomy, and I don't even care if there is a small bump, just not like it is now. At the same time, I don't want big purple eye bags under my eyes. Also, I was wondering do if the eye bags went away after a week. Also, what about swelling of the nose? How noticeable is it? The main thing for me is the eye bags and pools. I just don't want them, and I am afraid they will stay! Please help

Hump reduction

+1
You need to submit more views. A simple hump reduction is possible but depending on the size an osteotomy may be necessary to avoid a flat dorsum. Brusising is highly variable, from none to quite a bit, but usually it is gone in 7 days or so.

Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon

Closed rhinoplasty for hump reduction

+1
The nose is a three-dimensional structure, and you are only looking at one dimension which is the hump removal. Once the hump has been removed, an open roof deformity or flat top nose will be created. Medial and lateral osteotomies of the nasal bones are required to be performed on your nose once the hump has been removed. From a examples of hump removal, please see the link below and look at the three-quarter profiles, side profiles and frontal profiles, since the nose is a three-dimensional structure.The bruising that occurs after the rhinoplasty will last approximately 2 weeks after the procedure.

#Bruising after #Rhinoplasty

+1
Bruising is variable in its duration depending on the patient, procedure and some degree of luck. Also, you cannot dictate how your rhinoplasty is performed. If you reduce a bump on the bridge you will have a broad flat nose if no osteotomies are performed. 

You should see a board certified rhinoplasty surgeon in your area to get a formal opinion through and in-person consultation.

Vincent Marin, MD
MarinAesthetics.com

Vincent P. Marin, MD

Swelling after Rhinoplasty

+1
A closed approach for rhinoplasty may be associated with less swelling, bruising, and scarring. The associated potential swelling and bruising around the eyes will generally resolve in 7-10 days. However, there may be a more important issue here. I would NOT recommend a rhinoplasty procedure if you are unwilling to have a osteotomies or potential tip modification. These things are often required to bring balance to the nose. As always, it important to personally consult with a board-certified Plastic Surgeon who has a particular interest in rhinoplasty. Good luck!

Jarrod Little, MD

Under eye bags and pools from Rhinoplasty

+1
Having an osteotomy after a hump removal is very common and usually necessary when taking down a sizeable hump. If not done, this can lead to what is called an "open roof deformity" or a flat spot on the bridge. Instead and osteotomy can close the open roof and therefore recreate the triangular appearance of the bridge (from base view). The point of what I'm writing, is that I wouldn't get sidetracked from the ultimate goal of having a nice shape due to concerns over a short healing time period.

I typically inform my patients that the black/blue puffy eyes will go away in about 7-10 days. The puffiness will go away first, followed by the bruising (that can be covered with makeup). They are temporary and will not stay as a result of surgery. Noticeable swelling of the nose (if just the bridge is treated) is usually 2 weeks, but can be longer depending on your skin type and what was done.

Hope that helps.

mk

Michael M. Kim, MD
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

How long do under eye bags and pools from Rhinoplasty last?

+1
  In my experience in rhinoplasties where there are no osteotomies performed, there is a very low risk for bruising and the bruising that occurs is minimal.