How Long Should I Be Experiencing Very Painful Headaches and Swelling in my Temple Area Above Both Ears After a Neck Lift?

It's been a month since my surgery and I did see my dr, who I do the the utmost confidence in,last week about this. He said it was just inflammation and to take one advil three times a day. That regimen did not help at all. I have been taking 3-4 advil three times a day and still having a lot of pain and swelling where he did the "tailoring" (feels like ridges) especially in the mornings and evenings. Is this normal? Thanks for your time!

1 month post-op

+2

4 weeks is still relatively early in healing process after your surgery.  There are still irritated nerves and tight muscles.  Be patient and continue to follow up with your surgeon as directed.

Pain in the temple region following a neck lift

+2

It is not uncommon for patients to experience incisional pain for a few weeks following a facelift and brow lift. There is often a sensation of tension that accompanies the pain. Typically this discomfort will subside over the first couple of weeks of healing. In my experience, over the counter pain medications have been more than adequate after the first 10 day post op healing phase. It sounds like you are healing according to plan but I would continue to follow up with your surgeon to make sure that the healing process is progressing normally.

Todd C. Miller, MD

Headaches and swelling following neck lift

+1

Hello, and sorry to hear that you are uncomfortable following your procedure. After having a neck lift performed, it is not abnormal to experience headaches and have some residual swelling at the one month mark following your surgery. This should not persist for too much longer. In the meantime, I would recommend following up with your surgeon again. Let them know that the Advil did not help relieve your discomfort, and he or she may be able to recommend an alternative option that may provide you with some relief. I hope this helps, and best of luck with the remainder of your recovery!

Paul S. Nassif, MD